Chapter Twenty One - Just a Kid

Lachlan's P.O.V
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

BLAM BLAM BRATATA BRATATA.

     The sound of guns firing cuts out sound from anything else, some of the intruders have already entered the community and we are fighting back, but the intruders can practically walk right through the bullets cause these people suck at aiming. 

     Me, David and Alec run out of the apartment that is being used as a clinic and dash into the open and almost as soon as we step out we're being shot at, David begins the return fire, taking out one of the men that stands in the beautiful flower bed.

     All three of us duck behind a gray truck, bullets instantly start impaling the truck. One of the children who live here spots us and without looking he starts running towards us. The intruders don't care that the child is only about four they just start shooting at him like he is another person.

     The boy starts screaming and runs like he is stepping on hot coals. Bullets fly past him, some impaling the ground around him. I bite the inside of my cheek and cock the assault rifle, standing up from behind the car and spraying at the people trying to harm us, managing to take down about six of them just as the boy reaches for me.

     When the boy goes to jump into my arms one gunshot stands out, instead of catching the boy I get a face full of blood as the boy jerks back from the impact landing on the ground with a thud he starts screaming.

     A chunk of flesh as been torn from the boys arm leaving a gaping hole from there the bullet passed on through. The intruders don't stop, the continue shooting but this time the boy is an easier target, his screams silence as his body jerks rapidly, bullets entering his body.

     "No!" I scream, teams flowing to my eyes; he was just a kid. I don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore, they crossed the line by killing an innocent child.

     I roll from cover and crouch on one knee, firing into the newly formed group of intruders, I watch with cloudy eyes as the enemy's blood fly's throughout the air, their bodies dropping like flies. When everyone in the group is dead I still sit there with my gun up to my shoulder crying.

     I hear footsteps behind me and rotate faster then I think I've ever moved. The barrel of my gun comes face to face with Janet who takes a step back when she thinks I'm about to shoot her. Lowering my gun I let out a heavy sigh, wiping the tears off my cheeks. Janet's facial expression turns to a awful scared face as she pulls her pistol from her holster and screaming to me; "Duck!", I don't look behind me but I throw myself to the ground and Janet she pulls the trigger.

     I slowly look to see what she shot to see a female in her mid twenty's dead on the ground with a bullet between her eyes. "Oh my god..." Janet whispers dropping the gun and falling to the ground; "I just.. I just killed a girl. She was running up to you with a machete. I had to. I'm sorry." Janet says tears in her eyes, I'm not sure if shes saying sorry to me or the woman she killed but I let her be for a second.

     I return to the car to see David and Alec gone, confused I turn around to ask Janet if she seen them leave, only to see the little boy from earlier turned and now walking up behind a sobbing Janet. "Janet Watch Out!" I scream to Janet running up to her. Janet turns around but is to late, the little boy lunges on Janet and bites into her face, Janet lets out a wailing scream as the boy rips a chunk from her cheek. 

     I fire rapidly into the boy, adding more holes into his body, he turns his attention from Janet to me, and I go to shoot him, but I can't do it. I drop my gun and close my eyes tightly, clenching my fists tightly I prepare for the worst.

     I hear the Infected's growl cut off short and a louder gunshot then the ones around the community, I open my eyes to see the boy dead once again, and turn around to see Samantha with her pistol by her side. She barely looks at me and rushes to Janet's aid. Janet has her coat pressed against the wound and is wincing in pain, her white coat is now a dark red with the amount of blood, and Janet looks at me and nods, closing her eyes tightly and gripping Sam's hand. Samantha looks at me and then pulls the hammer of her gun back, tears streaming down her eyes.

     I put my hand on her shoulder, Sam looks at me and I shake my head. Sam nods and drops her gun, I remove my revolver from its home in my holster, I check to see how many bullets I have left in it. One. I close the cylinder and slowly pull the hammer back, putting the bullet in place I aim at Janet's head from my position above her. I let out a long breath and start shaking. I pull the trigger and drop the gun to my side, turning around and walking away.