Chapter 5

Chapter 5

       "Do you know what you're having yet?" Orchid asked Mom as we ate our dinner. "Because I'm all for another girl."

       "No way," Alan said. "I don't want another sister. I already have two, I don't want three."

       "Yeah? Well, I only have one sister and I have three brothers," Orchid said. "I don't want four brothers and one sister."

       Mom sighed. "No, we don't know what I'm having yet. We might find out in four weeks at my next ultrasound. It depends if the baby will let us see."

       I added everything up in my head. Normally, Mom went for her second ultrasound at sixteen weeks, meaning right now, she was twelve weeks pregnant and we just found out yesterday. "Mom, how come you waited twelve weeks to tell us?" I asked.

       "We wanted to make sure we made it passed the first trimester before saying anything," Mom said. "It's less likely they'll be a miscarriage if it's passed the first trimester."

       "I hope it's a girl," Orchid said.

       "I hope it's a boy," Alan said and Nolan agreed.

       "Girl."

       "Boy."

       "Girl."

       "Boy."

       "I have an idea," I said. "How about we donate all three of you to the circus, and Mom can have a boy or a girl?"

       Dad laughed at that, which only made Mom glare at him. He then stopped laughing and continued eating his food. Mom looked back at the triplets. "Whatever we have, we have," she said. "When I was first pregnant, I wanted a girl."

       "Ha!" Orchid said to me. "She didn't even want you!"

       "Shut it before I actually do donate you to the circus behind Mom and Dad's back," I said.

       "Okay, let me rephrase that," Mom said. "I preferred a girl, but I was still happy when we found out that we were having a boy."

       "I still want another sister," Orchid said, then got into an argument with Alan and Nolan. 

       I rolled my eyes before looking at the one person who was quiet throughout the entire meal. Tulip hadn't said a single word, which was odd because she loved talking during dinner. She also hadn't even touched her dinner. She was too busy stirring around the corn on her plate.

       "Tulip, are you okay?" I asked quietly as the triplets continued to argue.

       "Yeah," she said softly. "I'm just not hungry. I think I'm going to go play with my toys." Without another word, she got off her chair and went upstairs.

       Nobody even noticed that she left. The triplets were still busy arguing and Mom and Dad were talking about the baby. 

       Since I just finished my dinner, I got up from the table and dropped my plate in the sink before heading upstairs to Tulip and Orchid's room. Tulip was sitting on the floor beside her bed, playing with her favorite doll.

       I sat down beside her, but she kept her focus on her doll. "Do you want to talk?" I asked. 

       Tulip shook her head and continued playing with her doll.

       "Tulip, come on," I said. "Why don't you tell me what's wrong?"

       "I don't want another brother or sister," Tulip said quietly.