6.

Chapter 6.

When the bell finally rang following my last class of the day, I took off at a jog towards Kelsey's locker. She had promised to meet me there after school and keep me company until 5:00, since my dad didn't trust me taking the bus home.

Kelsey was standing at her locker, back to me, so I decided to sneak up on her to see if I could startle her.

"Got you," I cried, tickling her sides. Kelsey shrieked as spun to face me, almost karate chopping me in the face. "What are you, a ninja?" I asked with a laugh.

Kelsey stuck out her tongue at me. "That wasn't nice. You're lucky I didn't punch you in the face."

I shook my head. Kelsey was so dramatic about everything.

"So guess what?" she said. "Coach Green agreed to give you a tryout. I thought it would be a good way for you to spend your afternoon while we wait for your dad to get done with football practice. If you're sure you can't ask him."

"What if he says no?" I said. "Then I would have to go behind his back to do cheer. No, I'll just do it, and if he's mad when he finds out, I'll just say I assumed he said yes. That way I'm covered, right?"

Kelsey shrugged. "He's your dad. You would know better than I would." She shoved the rest of her books and folders into her locker messily, slamming the locker door hurriedly before grabbing my arm. "Come on, let's go!"

Casually, she pulled me down the hallways towards the girls locker room. Not paying attention to me and where I was, she pulled me directly into someone's back.

Thanks, Kelsey. I guess we both should have been paying a little more attention.

A tall, muscular guy turned around to look at the two of his, his lips curving upward into an amused smile.

As soon as I hit him and Kelsey had realized what she had just done, she let go of me and turned to face the guy.

"Oh my gosh, Evan, I didn't even notice you were there!" Kelsey laughed. Looking towards me, she sighed. "Please forgive Lilly. It's not her fault I was pulling on her and not paying attention to where I was dragging her."

Evan laughed, turning to face me. "Oh, hey, you're Coach Simon's daughter, right?" He paused, looking over at the friend he'd been talking to and smirking. I thought I saw his friend wink at him and gesture at me, but it happened so quickly I wasn't sure.

What the heck?

I took a second to examine him. His face didn't look familiar, but judging by his muscular arms and broad shoulders, I guessed he was a football player. "Uhm, yeah. That's me."

Evan smiled at me, then noticed his friend staring at him, waiting for him to introduce us, almost as if he'd forgotten we weren't alone. "Oh, this is my friend Austin."

Austin nodded in acknowledgement of me before looking at Kelsey and smirking. Kelsey looked away, her cheeks coloring.

I held back a laugh. Obviously, someone had a crush.

"It's nice to meet you, Lilly," Austin greeted. His voice was deeper than I'd imagined it would be based on his looks. It suited him, though. He looked at Kelsey. "Hey Kels."