Chapter 22

My eyes widened at her words,

"H-how did you find out?" I stuttered.

"Honestly, sweetheart it was obvious. You would've put on old baggy sweatpants and a crappy sweatshirt to have dinner with your friends, not a fancy little black skirt." She laughed.

I slowly started to laugh as well when I realized how light she was taking it.

"Don't worry I won't tell your father." She whispered.

"Thank you." I sighed.

Just when I thought she was leaving, she only slid closer to me on my bed, her grin becoming bigger,

"So how was it?" She asked with wide eyes.

"Good. It was good." I laughed.

"Where'd he take you?" She questioned further.

"This cute little cafe." I smiled.

My mom raised an eyebrow,

"Did he pay?" She asked.

"He insisted." I shrugged.

"That was kind of him." My mom smiled.

"I know." I nodded.

"It's hard to find a boy your age like that anymore." My mom sighed, rubbing a hand over your forehead.

"I know." I repeated.

"What's dad doing?" I asked, picking at my nails.

"Watching television." She mumbled.

"What else does he do beside go to work and sit in front of the TV?" I joked.

"Oh you know your father, and you know there's not much." She laughed.

After a spurt of silence my mom cleared her throat,

"He just doesn't want to see his daughters heart get broken is all. Don't be mad at him." She whispered.

"I know." I mumbled.

"Harry seems like a good kid." My mom muttered, making me giggle.

"Yeah, he is actually. He's lot sweeter than he looks."

"Your father will come around, sweetheart. Don't worry." She smiled.

"Goodnight Harley." She called, heading towards the door.

"Goodnight." I mumbled.

Before she disappeared down the hall, she looked back at me with a raised eyebrow,

"There aren't going to be any late night guests dropping in though your window tonight, are there?" She asked jokingly.

I felt the heat rush to my cheeks,

"No- no." I stammered.

"Better not." She laughed, shutting the door behind her.

The next morning I woke up earlier than usual, giving me enough time to pick out a nice outfit and put on my makeup carefully. I decisively chose a red lace top with a white tank top, navy blue jeans and my new pair of pure white converse. I put my hair up in a french braid, my makeup consisting of a few costs of mascara, a light stroke of eyeliner, and blush. I slid out my bedroom door and made my way downstairs, the smell of waffles filling my senses.

"Smells heavenly." I groaned as I entered the kitchen, my eyes meeting a steaming plate of waffles sitting on the countertop. They were already smothered in butter and maple syrup, practically making my mouth water at the sight.

"Are these for me?" I asked, looking up at my mom who was pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"Mhm." She nodded.

"Thanks." I smiled, grabbing the plate, along with a knife and fork. I sat down at the dining room table before digging in.

After I finished every single crumb of waffle I tip toed across the wooden flooring and peaked my head out into the living room, my eyes catching the couch uncommonly unoccupied.

"Where's dad?" I asked, turning my head to look back at my mom.

She took a sip of her coffee nonchalantly before heading over towards me,

"Had to go to work early." She shrugged.

"Oh." Was all I said.

"I'm gonna head out." I mumbled, grabbing my book bag and heading towards the front door.

"See you after school honey, have a good day." She called after me.

"Bye mom." I shouted, opening the door and shutting it behind me.

I turned around, my eyes wide as I watched Harry who leaning against his car in front of my house, the gigantic smile on his face matching mine. I couldn't see his eyes though, because they were hidden behind his black sunglasses.

"I saw your dad was gone and figured I'd wait in front of your house for you." Harry shrugged as I walked over to him.

"Thank you." I hummed, hesitantly wrapping my arms around his waist. I felt him shift uncomfortably underneath my touch, making me squeeze him even harder.

"Woah, what's this all about?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

I only lifted my shoulders up in a shrug as an answer which made made Harry laugh.

After a little Harry slowly wrapped his arms around my waist, swaying us back and forth.

"I never said I didn't like it though." He purred in my ear.

I pulled back as I felt the blush on my cheeks,

"C'mon, let's go, we probably look like weirdos out here."

I heard Harry's deep chuckle as I ran around to the passenger seat, smoothly climbing in and buckling up.

Before Harry had the chance to turn the engine on I decided to speak up,

"My mom knows." I stammered.

Harry scrunched his eyebrows up at first, but not soon after his eyes went wide.

"What'd she say?" He asked, his words coming out almost as if it was a incoherent whisper.

I couldn't help the smile on my face,

"She said she's not going to tell my dad."

I watched as Harry's hands tightened around the steering wheel,

"Yeah, but we can't just keep our relationship a secret from him."

Our relationship.

I decided to straight out ignore his choice of words and change the subject,

"I'll get Ben's number for you today."

"Okay, thanks." Harry mumbled.

"Have you seen him around?" I asked, leaning my head against the cold glass car door window.

"Nope." Harry answered simply.

It remained quiet until we pulled up at the school, Harry taking my hand as soon as we started up the school sidewalk.

Everyone's eyes scanned over me and Harry before they continued talking to their friends, some giving me unmistakably confused looks.