Dalek Encounter - a Short Story by @elveloy

A/N: Written for Rae Kitano's LGBT Short Story Dialogue challenge – criteria were to include:-

"I'm not in a 'save the day' kind of mood."

"When I grow up I want to be like (insert your own star / character here)"

"If I had a dollar for every time you said that!"

"Would I lie to you?"

"I love that colour on you."

Author's Note – this is my first fanfic! It's just for fun, very PG.

Dalek Encounter

The newest dalek made its way up the ramp, announcing in strident tones, "Exterminate! Exterminate!" A sound guaranteed to strike fear into every heart, it thought with arrogant satisfaction.

"If I had a dollar for every time..." muttered the Doctor, ducking back around the corner.

"Shh!" whispered Captain Jack Harkness, bringing his finger to his lips and frowning. Both men watched as the Dalek completed its journey up the ramp and went into the golden pyramid. It looked a bit smaller than usual thought Jack. As far as he could remember, all daleks tended to be the same size. Maybe it was a teenager. He sniggered, "What do you bet?" he asked the Doctor, "When it grows up it wants to be just like Davros?"

The other man frowned quellingly, this was no time for joking around.

"You could act as a decoy," suggested the Doctor. "Lure it outside so I can sneak into the pyramid and reach the Tardis."

"It may be small but it's got a gunstick," Jack reminded him. "I wouldn't last more than a minute. Besides, there's probably more of them inside."

"So? You're immortal, remember?"

"I'm not in a die to 'save the day' kind of mood," he protested, dying hurt for god's sake! Not to mention the possible side effects. The last time he had 'died' he ended up buried a mile underground for two centuries. It had given a whole new meaning to excruciatingly boring.

"You're immortal too, why don't you distract it and I'll sneak in and find the Tardis?" he countered.

"Fine! We'll go together then," replied the Doctor, "Cover me." He began zigzagging towards the ramp, taking advantage of what little cover he could find. Jack held his sonic blaster steady in his right hand, eyes alert for any sign of movement as he watched his companion reach the ramp, apparently undetected. He followed quickly in his footsteps, sonic blaster ready.

The golden pyramid was the only object visible for miles apart from an occasional dark green shrub or stunted tree. The sun beat down fiercely from a faintly purple sky, reflecting heat off the red sand which stretched as far as the eye could see in every direction. As attached as Jack was to his greatcoat, (it made him look really hot), he wished he had left it at home that day as he wiped the sweat off his forehead for the second time in as many minutes.

By the time he looked up, the Doctor had vanished inside the pyramid. Jack cursed silently and ran after him. Cautiously he peered around the side of the entrance, blinking as his eyes adjusted to the dimmer light. There was a huge open space, empty except for the dark blue Tardis on the far side, and of course the small dalek they had seen earlier patrolling in front of it, back and forth. The Doctor was on the other side of the entrance, as flat against the wall as he could make himself. The dalek didn't appear to have spotted him yet, but it could only be a matter of time.

Both men exchanged a quick glance. They didn't know why only one dalek was on guard but they were unlikely to have a better opportunity. Captain Jack moved to his left, surreptitiously at first then openly drawing the dalek's attention away from the Doctor who headed straight for the Tardis.

Jack opened fire on the dalek, aiming for the eyestalk which was its most vulnerable part. He saw out of the corner of his eye that the Doctor had reached the Tardis and was trying to open the door. He appeared to be having trouble. At that moment the entire pyramid filled with gas, evidently the dalek had triggered some sort of failsafe plan. Jack coughed as the poisonous gas crept into his lungs. He tried to hold his breath. The gas was thick and oily grey, he couldn't see the dalek any more and he could only hope it was mutual. What was worse, he couldn't see the Doctor.

Finally, the Doctor thought, as the Tardis door swung back. He slipped inside, peering back out to look for Jack. He realised the problem instantly and fanned the sonic screwdriver in the direction he had last seen the other man. It emitted a high pitched sonic wave, easily identifiable by the device Jack wore in his ear, as well as several species of bats which were found on Earth.

An agonisingly slow minute later, Captain Jack appeared out of the gaseous cloud and fell into the Tardis. The Doctor dragged him the rest of the way inside, then shut the door and quickly sent the Tardis hurtling out into space. Only when he was certain they were safely on their way did he bend down to check on the Captain. He lay gasping on the floor of the Tardis. "Help, I need air," the words rasped out of his throat. "Can't ... breathe..."

The Doctor looked suspiciously at him.

"Would I lie to you? Need ... help!" Jack squeezed out, still flat on his back on the floor, his eyes shut.

Still only half convinced, but unwilling to seriously risk his friend, the Doctor leant nearer to administer some first aid, and got a warm tongue in his mouth for his pains. Damn he had fallen right into that one, he thought resignedly as he drew back, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I've been wanting to do that for years," Jack smiled up cheekily at him. "And have I told you I love that colour on you?" he continued chattily, "That blue is so much better than the brown, even though the brown matches your eyes!"

The Doctor looked longingly at the door, was it too late to push him out?