5. Soup

The day the storm ends I wake up with Peeta laying beside me. The rhythmic pattern of his chest rising and falling tells me he's asleep. Careful not to wake him I reach over and lightly kiss him on the cheek. He smiles in his sleep, somehow aware that I kissed him. I then slowly get out of bed and reach down to put his shirt on and my sweats. I tiptoe down the stairs and grab my fathers hunting jacket and boots. Thought it's cold outside I won't be going far and if Peeta wakes he won't have to worry too much. I have to go and check on Haymitch.

Haymitch would come and check us every once and a while when he was sobered up. When Sae took care of me she was on double duty, keeping track of Haymitch as well. Her granddaughter even helped keep his house somewhat clean, for he would dirty it continuously. But during these past couple of months Haymitch has gotten as well as we have so far. He told Peeta and I recently that he was expecting a shipment of geese from one of the districts to keep him busy, like Peeta and I are starting to do. I hunt more and obviously Peeta bakes. But word is they're rebuilding a lot of the shops in town and Peeta wants to help rebuild his family's bakery, in hopes to start it up again. He paints too I assume. But he hasn't wanted to show any of his paintings to me yet, not the time I suppose. Just as it is for me not wanting to take him into my woods or sing just yet. All in good time though.

I reach Haymitch's door which is unlocked and walk in. I call his name and see that he's asleep on his couch. The place is better than it usually looks. And it doesn't smell like alcohol, but...pleasant. Sure there's a beer bottle on the kitchen table but at least it's not a hundred of them littered all over the floor. It looks like Haymitch had fallen asleep reading. I take his reading glasses off and bookmark the page to set it on the coffee table. I then take the blanket that has fallen on the floor and drape it over him, tucking it in on the sides. I go to the kitchen and rummage through his fridge to find ingredients and make a mediocre soup. By the time I'm pouring its contents into a bowl when I hear Haymitch stir.
"I smell food," I hear from the living room.
"Yep well I hope it smells good 'cuz I made you some," I respond.
He walks into the kitchen and picks up the bowl of soup I made him.
"I couldn't find any breakfast food in there so I just kind of threw this together."
"Thanks sweetheart. Why'd you come down hear so early."
"Oh well since the storm let up I wanted to come check on you. See if everything was okay, you know," I say to the counter as I lean on my elbows. I look up and see him slurping the soup. I sit there with him until he's done and we talk about little things. His geese shipments, my hunting, etc. When he mentions the progress of the construction of the town I mention that Peeta's going help rebuild his family's bakery.
"He is, is the boy?" Haymitch asks.
"Yea, he told me a few weeks ago," I answer.
"How is the boy?"
"Just as good as the rest of us, getting better one day at a time."
"Is he good to you?"
"Do you even have to ask?"
Haymitch smiles to himself.
"You're good for each other you know. You both need each other."
"Anyone with eyes can see it right?..." I repeat what Finnick said after the Quarter Quell. Haymitch knows who I'm quoting.
"When's the last time he, you know, had a flashback?"
"A month ago he said. They're getter further and further apart the more time goes on."
"Good." He continues,"Effie is coming to Twelve you know. Not very soon but soon. Visiting or what not, wanting to be away from the Capitol. She sends her love as always."

Effie. I haven't heard from her since a month after the war ended. It'll be nice to see her again. She was more than just one of the Capitol dolls to me. More like a loving aunt.

"It'll be nice to see her again. Well I have to get going Haymitch. I'll come see you super soon. And if not I know you'll come to see me. Your right next door."
"You bet I will sweetheart. Thanks for the breakfast."
"Your welcome Haymitch," I stand and pull on my jacket and walk towards the door. Suddenly I stop short and turn back around. I walk back to where Haymitch sits at the kitchen counter and hug him. Taken aback slightly he freezes but soon returns the embrace.
"We're gonna be okay right?" I ask like a child. Wondering if the only thing we didn't talk about, the haunting memories, the death, the destruction, will catch up to us again. Even after all these weeks.
"It'll never fully go away Katniss, but we can only hope. And it will get better. You know that." He says to my back. I pull away and give a thankful smile. "I'll see you later."
"Okay," he says, reaching for that single stray bottle of beer. I let him have it since he's been cutting down ever so slightly, but noticeably. And I can see it. "And also," I say as I'm nearing the front door. I turn back around and see him mid gulp,"take a bath Haymitch," I add as I open the front door. I don't see it but I know he's grinning and I am too.