XXIX¤ Weakness

I gasp for air once I reach the surface of the water. My clothes weigh me down. I swim my way to the shore and see Merek sitting on the sand.

"Don't complain about where you landed. I went face first into the sand." He comments. He looks worn and tired.

Splashing noises make me turn to the ocean. I watch as Marcus comes to shore. He looks around himself quite frantically.

"Where is my master?" He anxiously asks. He's scared and worried. "They took him! Who were they? It's all your fault he was taken!" Marcus grabs me and throws me against the sand. He stands above me and goes to grab my neck but I kick him away from me.

"He's okay Marcus. The witches most likely took him." I tell him.

"How is that any better? Why did they take him?"

"They're going to make him their vessel."

"They're what?"

"A vessel." I repeat myself knowing very well he knows what I have said and what that means.

"No... No! How do I find him? Where did they take him?" He starts breathing heavily.

"I don't know." I reply and watch his expression darken.

"I'm going to find him."

"Go for it. No ones stopping you." Merek says. I give him a look, "it's true. I sure as hell won't stop him. Will you?"

"No." I answer.

"Then it's settled. Go. You're not needed here anyways." Merek states, "but if you don't want to be aimlessly wandering around come with us and I'll let you talk to my witches, they'll give you answers."

Marcus nods hesitantly.

What do you have planned?

There's a reason he's here.

"Do you know where to go?" I ask Merek.

"Yes just... Give me a moment." He sighs and let's his head hang.

He's definitely not well. "Do you need to feed?"

"No. I fed." He gets up from the sand and stands by my side.

"Then why do you look so sick?"

"I need Joseph." He says. Before I can say anything else he collapses. I catch him before he reaches the ground.

"Merek." I look at his face and frown. I put him on my back.

"How are we getting there now that our guide is dead?" Marcus asks.

"Not dead, just sleeping. He's exhausted." I look towards the land. I take a deep breath and start walking.

"You still haven't answered my question." Marcus walks beside me.

I shrug. "We'll get there."

"How?"

"By smell."

"Enlighten me." He deadpans.

"I would think you would know about vampires but it seems your knowledge is limited. What a pity."

He scowls, "answer the question."