Chapter 10

Cry’s P.O.V

The shrill beeping of my alarm dragged me from whatever dreams I’d been having, reminding me it was almost 7 and I had to get ready for tonight. For a moment I found myself considering whether to stay in bed, sleep an extra hour and show up a little late...Pewds wouldn’t mind. It’s not like he would fire me...or would he?

Yeah, I should probably get up.

Dragging myself out of bed, I grabbed my glasses from the cabinet and trudged into the bathroom to shower. It seems I’ve become nocturnal these past few days but I wasn’t all that bothered about it. It was always nice when I left the craziness of the club to walk home down the quiet, sleeping streets, to steal quick glances at how calm the ocean was during these hot summer nights. Most people missed out on that stuff; they only ever saw it when it was crowded with people.

Once my drowsiness was washed away I pulled on my clothes, some simple grey trousers and a black shirt, and found myself messing around with my hair for longer than usual.

I’d say I didn’t know why...but I did. It was because of him, that guy who always makes me feel like I have to look my best. It’s just....he always looks so...Urgh.

I tilted my head to the side, narrowing my eyes at my reflection. What? I can appreciate a good looking man. That doesn’t mean anything. A small smirk crossed my lips and I found myself rolling my eyes at my own thoughts as I tugged the draw open, expecting to find the mask placed neatly where I’d left it this morning...but it had disappeared.

Oh shit.

I ducked down, pushing the random things around the draw and hoping to find the thin plastic somewhere beneath this rubbish.

Shit, shit, shit.

Panic was beginning to rise within me as I thought about having to do all that crazy shit at the club without it, with people actually know who I was, being able to recognise me on the street. Somewhere deep inside I knew this fear was irrational but it didn’t stop it from making me feel cold.

“Shy!” I yelled as I yanked my draw out, tipping all the crap out onto the floor but the mask was still nowhere to be seen.

Leaving the mess behind, I dodged over it and began searching the apartment, but all I discovered was that Shy was also missing. I grabbed my phone, dialling his number and waiting for him to answer.

“Cry?” he finally answered. I could hear people talking around him, guys laughing and yelling.

“Hey...where are you?”

“Just out with some mates,” he replied and the laughing grew quieter, showing he was walking away from whoever it was. He sounded a little odd though...