Chapter.6.Silent Treatment.

Chapter 6

Lucas took my advice, he left me alone which I hate and love all at the same time. It keeps him safe and keeps me focused. So then why am I thinking about him on my run? Damn it! He is always there, I hate to say I miss that annoying man!

So, good news I won 5,000 from my fight with Missy 4 days ago and that means we've made college fund money for the month. That also means I haven't talked to Lucas in 5 days... seriously Riley focus. I have another fight Saturday night and my rib cage is still bruised from a massive kick but the pain is hardly noticeable anymore. Turning down our street, my eyes meandered - on their own accord - to Lucas' home. And there he was... standing outside with a man screaming in his face. I quicken my pace, though I don't really know why and my feet lead me directly to him, "HEY!" I snap, effectively ending the shouting. "Everything okay?" Both pairs of emerald eyes shift their gaze to me.

The older Lucas throws dagger my way. "Who the hell are you?"

"I live across the street. Who the hell are you?" I don't do well with authority mostly because it is always abused. And even though I know this to be Lucas' father, I thought what better way to piss him off then to be sarcastic?

"I'm his father now get off my property." I literally take 1 step back to get off the grass and find myself in the street with my arms up in surrender. "Very funny."

Instead of being sassy, I shift my focus back towards Lucas, because for whatever reason I want to make sure he's okay. "You alright there Sparky?"

"I'm fine." No he's not. It was evident this was something he was used to, but obviously despised. We are in kind of similar situations, his hatred was outwardly more apparent than my own. While clenching my jaw his beautiful meadow like orbs are practically pleading with me to leave.

But before I can react on my own will Josh intervenes. "RILEY LET'S GO WE HAVE TO TRAIN!" With a final head nod, my feet carry me to my garage where my uncle is waiting. "You care about him."

Without answering, I saunter towards the bag. And for the first time I can admit it to myself, yes. Yes I care for Lucas Friar.

GMWGMWGMWGMWGMW

"Right, left, duck, gut." Josh kept spewing out commands for my different combinations and I followed without thinking. This was second nature to me now, it's awful that I feel such a rush from over powering someone. I used to be addicted to this adrenaline, it used to get me so high. I never told Josh that or he would have pulled me out quicker than I could blink, I'm doing this for college. To better our future and once we have enough, I want to pull out. Despite popular belief I don't enjoy being bruised and battered. But like cocaine, adrenaline itself can be addicting. So, another part of me wants to stay because I know how much I'll miss it. When my concentration slipped for one second, I felt a knock against my cheek. "FOCUS!" Josh shouts before holding out his hand.

"Sorry." I mumble as he assists me up off the blue plastic mats.

"Never let your guard down Riley. EVER! You'll get yourself killed!" I hear the worry in Josh's voice and know he's still a little bothered by Lucas' speech on Saturday. That is all his yelling is, it is pure and utter worry. That is why he is so tough on me, he loves me or some crap like that. Kidding, he does love me. "You alright?" His hands grasp my face to get a look at his handy work.

"Yeah nothing I can't handle." I open my fists and place my hand on his cheek, "I love you."

"I love you too Riles." He pulls me in for a hug, and since this hardly happens, I find myself relishing in it. "I promise as soon as New Year's Knockouts are over we'll get you out Riley." I can hear the disgust for those words in his voice, no matter how meek it was. Josh doesn't want to leave, he wants me out and safe but, he's been doing this longer than me and is more addicted than I. However he's the only person I've ever been able to count on, so he is coming with me. I prefer it that way, if you trust less people than there is a lesser chance of you getting hurt. I don't need anyone else in my life, not even Sparky who had ignored me all week which hurt, but it's what I wanted. It is what needed to happen to keep him safe. Speaking of Sparky, he was now standing at the garage doorway.