Chapter 18

I ended up laying beside him in the bed, though I panicked a few times. Having these nightmares was taking away my energy, all I wanted to do was sleep. But I also wanted to comfort my mate, make sure he's relaxed, make sure he knows he's safe. The need to be close to him had wrapped around me until I was pressed against his body.

He would wake up for an hour or so before falling asleep again. Sometimes, he would have nightmares of Jefferson torturing him.

"No!" He suddenly screamed.

I jumped up, allowing my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the room. I looked down at Alaricas to see him twitching a little. Even with his eyes closed he looked panicked.

"Don't! Please, not her!"

I frowned at the tears running down his face now and the way his voice cracked. I quickly wrapped my arms around him and stroked his cheek.

"It's okay, Alaricas. You're okay." I whispered.

He shook his head, his hands gripped the sheets tightly. I ran my hand through my hair, I'm going to have to wake him this time it seems. I gently shook him, but he still wouldn't open his eyes.

"Alaricas, wake up." I said louder, shaking him harder.

After a few more tries he finally snapped his eyes opened and sat up. I went to stop him from doing just that, but he still seemed somewhat out of it. He started searching the bed.

"Jo...where...Jolene!"

My heart fell at how panicked he looked, more tears started to run down his face. I gently cupped his cheek, causing him to stiffen.

"I'm right here." I said softly.

He slowly looked at me, he collapsed and hugged me. To say I was confused would be an understatement. I was completely puzzled, bewildered. He was crying into my shirt and holding me tightly.

"I thought he killed you. I-I thought I lost you a-again." He said as he started to calm down.

I placed a gentle kiss on his cheek as he looked at me. "It's okay, I'm right here. I'm alive."

He smiled a little, he then frowned. Even through the limited light I could tell he was blushing.

"S-sorry...I-I didn't hurt you? Right?" He rambled.

I chuckled, "No, you didn't hurt me. But you scared me with your screaming. Are you okay?"

"Well, mentally for now I am but physically...I don't want to move."

I could hear the pain in his voice, I sighed and gently grabbed him.

"Lay down, it's going to hurt, but once you're relaxed you'll feel better." I instructed.

He nodded before slowly laying down, he cried out in pain and whimpered. When he was finally laying against the pillows again, he stopped.

"Thank you." He breathed.

I grinned, "You're welcome. Now, get some sleep."

"Jefferson is dead...right?"

"Yeah, he's dead. You're safe now."