CHAPTER 62 - ORION

Pharro escorted Aeryn and Gauwin to Daniel's cell to retrieve him while the rest of us headed for the hangar and Desraeon's ship. Rain poured down on it through the gaping hole high above, so Desraeon had to shield us as we boarded.

The ship, balancing on five, silver points, wasn't large, consisting of only a cargo hold with seating along the edges, and a single seat in the front for a pilot. The sleek, silvery-blue exterior consisted of four, triangular wings, two shorter ones near the pointed nose and two longer near the back, all with a blue glow on the underside that Desraeon said cloaked the ship when it was in the sky.

Vialla took a seat near the cockpit, tapping her knee nervously. Very unFengDohrn like.

"We have ten minutes," Tritteon said to no one, lowering me into a seat as lights blazed on and the engines hummed to life, a steady, pleasant sound I could've fallen asleep to. "What if those coordinates change too many times and we arrive late? What if—"

I grabbed his hand. "I can promise you, Cort wants Daniel and I too much to follow through on his threat if we're only a few minutes late." I squeezed his fingers, lowering my voice. "There's nothing I can say to ease your nerves. This is going to be awful. And it isn't going to get better until it's over. But you have to promise me you won't break character."

His eyes shuttered, but he nodded.

"I'm sorry it was all I could come up with." My arm shook a little as I brushed my hair aside so he could get to my brand. "One last thing, though. Will you cut this so they won't be able to use it?"

Desraeon cleared his throat from the cockpit, holding out a small, silver dagger. "No claws. Now isn't a good time to poison her."

He tossed it and Tritteon plucked it easily out of the air by its handle.

With a quick swipe, Tritteon drew it across the brand and I resisted the urge to make a sound. This was nothing compared to what was coming. I didn't need to make him feel worse than he already did.

"Thanks," I said a little tightly.

He didn't respond. With a flick, he tossed the blade back and Desraeon caught it with the same skill. And he sat, his elbows braced on his knees, his forehead resting on his intertwined fingers.

"Look sharp," Desraeon said, passing us to the ramp.

Tritteon stood abruptly, facing the approaching group. "Has any new mobility returned?" he whispered.

I tried out my legs, stretching them a bit. "A little."

"Have you tried burning anymore of the drug away?"

I blinked. With everything happening, it hadn't crossed my mind. I dug down for my Destere, but it didn't respond, because I'd also forgotten about the Neutralizer.

"Desraeon?" I hissed, only loud enough for him to hear. "Get this off." I held out my wrist with the strange bracelet.

The Oria rolled his eyes and side-walked back to us, one hand outstretched toward the incoming group, shielding them from the rain as he extended his other toward my wrist. "Not the best timing," he muttered, his hand glowing yellow as he pinched the bracelet between two fingers and jerked them sideways. And it snapped open and dropped into Tritteon's waiting palm.

Tritteon pocketed it as Destere burned through me.

"Look at that," Daniel said to Tritteon, held tightly between Aeryn and Gauwin as they escorted him up the ramp. "You have recovered after all." Daniel looked him up and down. "How did you manage that?"

Tritteon didn't reply, his expression blank.

I got slowly to my feet. My legs were a little shaky, but they held my weight. "What is he doing here?"