01.You Should Get married

Nathan

"You want to speak with me mother?" I asked as I entered her office. She was at her desk with her back towards me. She was looking out at the steadily falling snow outside.

She turned and cleared her throat.

"Yes, son please sit." She spins around. She never ever tells me to sit.

Why is she telling me to sit?, As if we are about to discuss a business deal. "Okay," I said softly. She took a sip of the hot chocolate in her hand. I smile when I saw the mug saying 'World's Best Mom'. I got her that mug when I was ten for mother's day. And she has it years later.

"Look son. I'm not getting any younger." She puts down the mug and clasp her had together and places them on the desk. The little grey strands of hair visible at her hairline. But it's just the cause of stress from dealing with a multimillion dollar company.

The crisis that can arrives daily in this company.

"Mom what are you saying. You look so young" I couldn't see a wrinkle on her perfectly edge face.

"I may look young on the outside but my age is slowly climbing up."

"Mom come on. Don't say that" I try to cheer her up. A small smile appeared on her lips.

"I know what you are doing." She mumbled smiling. I raised my eyebrow acting like I didn't know anything.

"Let me get back to what I was saying. You are not getting any younger and I am getting older. So-"

Her speech was cut when my phone begins to ring. I swipe my finger across and end the call when I see the frown on my mom's face. Apparently whatever she has to say is really important.

I looked at the phone and see that my best friend Jai is calling. I will make a note to call him back later.

"Thank you for ending that call." she said.

"You were saying something. Please continue" I pressed her.

"I'm not getting any younger. Soon I will no longer be here. "She paused.

No longer be here.

Is she sick? "Mother are you sick? Tell me you're not dying?" I couldn't deal with the fact of losing my mom. She is my all and my everything.

She let out a humorous laugh. "No son. I'm perfectly healthy. But you know life can turn in some unexpected twists at times."

I agree with her one hundred percent. Today you're here. Tomorrow you're not.

"Let me cut to the chase. It's time for you to get married. Your dad and I need grandchildren. And I'm sure your sister wants to be an aunt." I froze at her words. She got to be kidding me.

I laughed. I let out a loud laughed.

I look at her and her face was serious and I stopped laughing because she wasn't kidding.

"You are serious?" I asked after regaining my composure.

"I am" those words were perfectly formed on her tongue and laced with so much authority. Just like when Jesus said ' I am the Lord thy God' see I know a little from the bible.

Well, that's not the point.

"No, I'm not getting married. I love my life perfectly as it is." That is true. I can go home anytime. No one is there to complain that I am staying in bed too late. No one is there to complain where I put the sugar. No one is there to complain that my place is messy. If I decided to drop my jeans on the ground after I get out of them, no one to nag me that they are picking up after my lazy ass. I'm not ready for any commitment. Not to mention the freedom I have. No, I can't.