Chapter 1

"In a bizarre twist on her much publicized engagement with Alan Hall, brother to the famous movie actor Jake Hall, New York socialite Emma VanHorn announced today that she will not be choosing her Bridesmaids from among her friends. Instead, she will be holding what she calls a 'Bridesmaid Lotto,' where members of the general public can purchase a ticket, similar to a lottery ticket, the prize being a coveted spot in the wedding party. Soon to be brother in law, Jake Hall, has been announced as one of the groomsmen. Miss VanHorn has also announced that proceeds from the lottery will be split, half going to charity, and the other half going towards what she calls 'the wedding of the century.'"

"Boo," I yelled, interrupting the entertainment broadcast and throwing popcorn at the TV.

"Shhh," Calla said. "I want to hear this."

I rolled my eyes and tossed another piece of popcorn into my mouth.

The report continued. "In related news, Jake Hall has recently announced his intent to find a mate and settle down saying, quote, 'I am tired of dating. I'm very ready to settle down. I just have to find the right girl.' Well ladies, now may be your chance. Tickets for the Bridesmaid Lotto will be available for purchase between midnight tomorrow, and midnight this coming Saturday. You can find more information at www.BridesmaidLotto.com. The winners will be announced here on Entertainment News in a one hour, special Sunday night broadcast."

"Wow," Calla whispered, forgetting to chew the popcorn that was partially hanging out of her mouth. "Could you just picture it? I can't imagine even being in the same room as Jake Hall!"

"Oh please, Calla," I said. "A lottery for being a Bridesmaid? Pffft. You couldn't pay me to be a Bridesmaid, especially for someone I don't even know."

"Josie! You don't even want to be a Bridesmaid when I get married?" my roommate said. She crossed her arms and stuck out her lip.

"Fine," I said. "I'll be a Bridesmaid at your wedding. But that's it!"

"Oh my God though." Her words were starting to pick up speed. "Wouldn't it be so cool to meet Jake Hall? I mean, if he were a doctor, he'd be McDreamy and McSteamy all rolled into one."

"Uh, you know, they aren't actually doctors either," I reminded her. "They're also just actors."

"Shhh. You don't have to ruin my fantasy," she said, throwing a piece of popcorn at me. "But even you can't argue the fact that Jake Hall is the hottest actor in the history of the world."

I shrugged. "I guess."

Calla smiled at me like she knew something I didn't. Perhaps she was picking up on the fact that I'd had a complete and utter movie star crush on Jake Hall since I'd seen him seven years ago in the teen horror flick, High School Hell. Of course I would never, ever admit to that to her, or anyone else for that matter.

"Well I'm definitely going to enter," Calla said and got up. She headed over to the computer. "What was that website again, Bridesmaid something?"

"Lotto," I answered. "But they're not even selling tickets yet. Not until tomorrow."

"I know, but I just want some more information." She happily started clicking away.

"Ew. This is a little sick," she said, scrolling down the webpage. "You must be under 130 lbs. but also under 5' 10" tall, and under the age of 30. It says they're going to actually weigh, measure and verify the ages of the winners. And you have to send a photo in with your entry. They say it's for advertising purposes only though."

"I guess that Jake Hall likes his women to be shorter than him, and obviously she's going to have to be thin," I said sarcastically. Secretly I was a little disappointed that he would be so superficial.