Against All Odds: Chapter 2

Chapter 2 Part 1: Cool As Ice

Isabelle did a few laps around the ice with some fellow teammates as they waited for every player and coach to get onto the ice. Practice never began until then. This time she only got three laps in before her Coach Adams' whistle blew, signaling all the players to come over. Belle skidded to a stop right in front of him, showering him with snow. He smiled and shook his head; Isabelle was known for spraying anyone and everyone with ice.

"Listen in," Coach called out, and immideatly everyone went completely silent. "Today is Monday, everyones favourite day," we all groaned in unison, "but this week Monday is something different. It's  the first day of this season, and we have until Friday at 6 to practice. We play the Hawks this week, our first game, and as bad as you all think they are, you're not going to practice any less." Belle nodded, she'd always loved her coaches' mindset. Just because a team was bad last season doesn't mean they are this season; besides, you should always push yourself to do your best, not half-ass it. She'd always told her teammates the same thing; most of them listened.

"Also," Coach Tyler Adams said, "We have to announce our captain and three alternates." everyone looked around; this hadn't been something anyone really thought about. Anyone but Isabelle Bauer. She ached to be either a captain or an alternate; she knew she worked hard enough. But there was always one person who deserved the C more than her: Asher Roth.

"As many of you expect, this years captain will be Asher Rose." Asher made eye contact with Belle, and she smiled. He worked hard, she told herself, and he deserved it. "Our home alternates will be Steven Mckee, and Sam Adams. Which, as some of you are unaware, means that they will only wear the A at home. Our main alternate will be you, Bauer." Coach Adams said the last sentance staring at Belle. She starred right back, a smile on her face. She was the full alternate. She'd have the A on every jersey she wore this year, whereas Mckee and Adams would have it on their home jerseys. 

She could hear her brother Vinny pounding on the glass, yelling at the top of his lungs. Isabelle wanted to laugh, but she was so happy that she couldn't do anything but smile.. Asher tapped her on the helmet with his glove; a hockey players congratulations. 

"Now that that's done and over with, today we'll start practice off with the normal shootout, Dombrovski, I want you in goal at the north end, King at the south. Defencemen shoot on King, forwards down here with Evan." the players split up, and so did the coaches. Coach Adams, the head coach, stuck around at this end of the ice, where the forwards were shooting.

"Let's go kids, come on, don't waste time here.." he said, and the pucks began flying. Asher's shot went in. Isabelle smiled at him, and moved forward in the line of shooters. Only a couple people scored; most were subject to the Russian brick wall named Evan Dombrovski. He was incredible.

"Let's see what you've got, Bauer." Coach Adams called to Isabelle; he was always wanting her to prove herself. He believed in her more than any other coach ever had.

She skated towards Evan; he was ready. She faked shooting five-hole and shot top-shelf, sucuessfully scoring. Isabelle loved Evan, but she loved scoring on him even more. He was the top goaltending prospect on a high school team in the south. Half the boys on the team had trouble consistently scoring on him.

Practice went on with Isabelle excelling more and more. She was one of the best, most consistant players on the entire team. Some of her teammates reconized that, while others (like Caleb) completely ignored her exsistance. She loved it, because one day, she would prove everyone wrong. She'd make it to the NHL, just like she always said.

"Rose, Bauer, Adams, Mckee. A word?" Their coach called from the other end of the ice. As all the other players were going into the locker room, the four of them skated across the ice to speak with their coach.