Chapter Seven

"Of all the things in the world. I never expected you to be so good at fishing!" Andre's voice rang through the house. Kit was in the kitchen finishing the dinner dishes. She looked up as she dried her hands to see a smiling Andre and Carly walking in.

"Kit, you should've seen me!" Carly bounded into the kitchen and gripped the redhead's hands in her own. "I am a fishing queen! I was slaying them!"

"You!?" Kit was more than a little stunned.

"She was," Andre gazed at the blonde with love in his eyes. "We ended up renting a boat. We made a day of it."'

"Look at you!" Kit looked at Andre with a big smile, "Being all impulsive!"

"My talk with my dad made me realize some things," he looked happier than she'd ever seen him. She was so proud of Leo for talking to him and Andre for being receptive to his advice. If only the other brother would bend a little now.

"I told Andre I'd humor him and try to catch one, and then I just kept catching them!" Carly was practically glowing with excitement.

"I can't picture you fishing, Carly," Kit had to admit, "Did you touch them?"

Carly giggled at that as she made her way to the fridge. She opened it and started rummaging. "First one was gross; then it wasn't that bad." She emerged with a can of Pepsi and cracked it open.

Andre had made his way to the stove and peered into the pot. "This smells good!"

"It's chicken and dumplings," Kit told him, "Leo already ate and fell asleep."

"We'll have to tell him about our fishing day later." Andre looked up towards the stairs. A sad smile touched his lips but was gone in the next instant. "Thanks again, Kit. You're doing a great job."

"It hasn't even been a week yet," she shrugged off the compliment. "I think I'm going to head out. Carly, can I borrow your pole?"

"You're going to go drop a line in?" Andre asked.

"Yeah, why not?" Kit suddenly felt inspired to do so, "It's still light out, and the lake is close."

"Sure, help yourself; it's in my car," her blue eyes scanned Kit carefully. "You're going to wear scrubs fishing?"

"Oh right," Kit laughed at herself; she'd forgotten her outfit.

"You can borrow a change of clothes in Andre's room." Carly offered to which Kit smiled gratefully.

She was careful and quiet not to wake Leo as she went up. She found Carly's change of clothes on the dresser. It was a pair of fitted blue jeans and a light blue graphic tee with bold letters that said blondes do it better. Carly was taller than her, as were most people. It made the jeans slightly long on the bottom. Otherwise, they fit well.

She saw Carly and Andre eating and whispering when she got back down. She left them be and slipped out.

****

The drive to the lake was fast, as it was just a few blocks away. She parked in the open lot and was glad to see only a few cars. A quiet moment sounded perfect to her. She parked a little ways away from the docks and got out. She grabbed the pole and the little cooler she'd found in Carly's car.

She started to head towards her favorite dock. As she got closer, she realized someone was sitting there. It looked like Luca. She narrowed her eyes as she got a little closer. There was no mistaking that thick mop of chocolate hair on his head. She considered turning around and leaving, then recalled Jase's advice. She wasn't getting far fighting with him, maybe it was time to ease up a little.