27|Butterflies and Bachelors

I am aware that Norman is staring at me intently as I raise the phone to my ear. I bite my lip while listening to it ring. After what seems like hours, Nick finally picks up.

"Micah?"

"Nick." I'm not completely sure what to say.

"I thought you hated me," he says. I can't detect the emotion in his voice.

"Nick. The Panini. Right now." I put the phone down and take a deep breath. Norman's still here.

He looks at me, a single eyebrow raised. I sigh, glaring at him.

"Norman. Out. I'm going to see Nick and don't you dare even think about following me, you psychopath." I turn away, but not before I catch a sliver of his expression. It is satisfaction, mixed with what looks like the surprise.

I open the door and dash down the hallway.

"Micah. You need to explain," Nick tells me for the eighth time. His arms are around me, his body shielding me from the harsh winds blowing around us. We are standing just outside the steps of the Panini, the place we went to on our first date. Pretty much our only date. Geez.

I sigh. "Nick, there isn't much to say. I made a mistake. That's all," I reply. I'm afraid that if I tell him, he'll think I'm crazy - or he'll think Norman's crazy and try to murder him. Not that that'd be much of a problem. Awkward pause.

"Fine. Don't explain. But are we going in or what?"

I laugh at the distressed tone to his voice. "A man needs his food," I mumble, and he laughs loudly. He squeezes me as we walk up the stone steps. A waiter ushers us in, showing to a booth in the corner of the room. We sit down, and I remove my coat, hanging it on the back of the bench. We open our menus, scanning through the food selection.

"How's it going with your mom?" Nick asks, evidently wanting to change the subject. I go along with it.

"Fine. I haven't seen her since I went to get my pills - " I cut off, realizes what I just said. I look up at Nick, and I feel my cheeks flush. He smiles, the gestures for me to continue.

"But she seems to be enjoying her time in the spotlight," I continue, referring to the scandal.

"Apparently she's a little concerned about Alex. Hasn't heard anything from him in like two weeks."

"He's on his extended vacation." It becomes automatic for me to reply with this. I don't hope that Alex comes back sometimes, though I do have a real dad now. He has been with me for the majority of my life, and I don't want to lose him just because of a stupid move by my crazy mom.

"Meaning?" Nick questions, raising an eyebrow.

"He's trying to hide from society and my mother's drunk stupidity."

"That doesn't sound too far from the actual truth."

We both smile. Then I take a deep breath. "Nick, I'm sorry," I say. I look up at him, hoping not to find anger in his eyes. Instead, I see hope, and, thank the Lord, forgiveness.

"It's okay, Mikes, you just need to explain," he replies, sincerely.

I tell him everything. Everything from when I first met Norman and the chills he sent down my spine, to what had just happened earlier this day. I explain how Norman had climbed through my window and confessed about what he had done. When I finally finish, I look up at Nick again.

He stares back. Then he smiles.

"Geez, Micah, this guy is messed up."

I laugh. It's true. "How did you get his phone number though?" I ask, remembering how he had texted Norman when we were getting a dress for prom.

"Oh, well, just a few days before we went shopping, he ran up to me after I got out of school. I don't even know how he got there, but he seemed pretty exhausted. He claimed he needed my phone number because he was going to prom with my girlfriend. I have to admit I was pretty confused, as well as pissed, but after he had explained, I gave him my number."

"You just gave this random dude who just stole your girlfriend your number?" I clarify.

He grins. "Yup."

"Nicholas Garner," I tell him, leaning closer. "You are a Grade A Idiot."

"I could even win a medal," he announces, faking pride. "While you would only get a participation award."

I laugh again. Then Nick leans forward and kisses me. I wrap my arms around his neck, and I feel him smile against my lips. He rests his hand on my cheek, and we stay like this for a few good amount of time.

That is until we are disturbed. "Um, excuse me?"

Nick and I break apart, me blushing like crazy, to see a short woman in a pink dress standing in front of us. She is wearing way too much makeup and has the same butterfly pin in her brown hair.

"Rhina," I breath. The reporter. Shit.

"It's that creepy butterfly lady," Nick whispers. I nod.

"I can hear you," Rhina says, her chubby hands on her hips. She looks like a little demanding toddler who wants a cookie or is commanding her mom to bake her a cake.

"I know," I reply. "Do I look like I care?"

The woman grumbles.

"You know, we were having a nice evening and we don't need your fat, pink ass anywhere near us," I tell her, narrowing my eyes.

Nick glances sideways at me, shocked. I feel my lips creep up a bit at the corners.

Rhina stares straight ahead, her lipsticked mouth hanging wide open. She looks extremely stupid. "A closed mouth gathers no flies, you know," I say.

"I'm pretty sure it's feet," Nick corrects me.

I turn to him. "Feet? Why would you have feet in your mouth?"

Nick smiles. "I'm pretty sure it's referring to the whole thing about when you say something stupid and you put your foot in your mouth."

"Well, you couldn't pay me a hundred bucks to go around telling people that they should keep their mouth shut because someone might go and stick their foot in it." I flick my hand at him dismissively.

Nick laughs, and I laugh too. "How about if I paid you a million bucks?"

"That I could consider."