You're not even HUMAN! So why are you living with us?!?! Chapter 8

Julian pushed his hands further into his pockets, staring at the ground. I didn’t even realize that I was still crying until he leaned forward and wiped a tear away from my left eye. The silence was there, the weird feeling was coming back, regret also. People pasted by us, giving me dirty looks with their curious eyes. 

The floor was more interesting than Julian’s brown eyes. Suddenly, out of nowhere, he put his hand in mine, squeezing tightly, pulling me closer to him. And I went without hesitating. “I had a feeling that you would come” he said and tilted his head to the side.

From a distance I could see a guy watching us. The Carnival looked dissertated now. No one was in sight. Julian pulled be towards the Ferris wheel, the blue, yellow, purple, green and pink lights flashed brightly in the night’s sky. People were still watching us, their eyes were full of curiosity and anger. Before I had any time to think about it, he was already tugging me up onto the steps to get into our car.

“Want some?” He poured a shimmery, golden liquid from a dark bottle into a glass. I watched him pour another glass full for himself. He held one glass out to me. The golden liquid looked like it was bubbling up on its own. The longer I watched the liquid, the stronger it sang to me.

“What is it?” I asked. I took a small sip of it, it tasted like summer with a hint of everything sweet ad bright. The liquid seemed to be kissing me taste buds. I took another sip but a bigger one. The Ferris wheel took flight, lifting us up high into the sky. It stopped when we were at the highest point. By that time, my glass was empty.

He took my glass and refilled it, the golden liquid looked even prettier than it just did. “What is it?” I asked again.

 “It’s called ‘Luxury’, it’s a celebrating drink” he said and handed me back my glass. I tilted my head back and gulped the drink down in one swing. When I lifted my head up again, Julian was smiling at me, a stray dark curl in his eye. He looked so cute.

 “It’s delicious.” I said a little too high which made me laugh.

 “I would think so since we only have it when we’re celebrating.”

“What are you celebrating? Not being on the streets? Or that you found a good family?” I waited impatiently for him to pour me another glass and to answer y question. But he seemed like he was taking his time pouring my drink, making sure not to spill it while the wheel was moving, swinging us back and forth.

He sighed and passed me my drink, his fingers brushed against mine and for a second, everything slowed down. The liquid in front of my eyes wasn’t golden or pretty, instead it was a deep ugly reddish brown colour and the once singing that I heard now sounded like screaming.

Julian looked different. He smiled at me again, but this time he looked…well like a faery. His brown eyes were so dark that they looked like black holes. What made it worse was that they were moving, slowly in a circular motion.  His hair was a black colour. So black it almost looked dark blue. His wings were huge with a silvery outlining and a white middle. They looked powerful, and so did the golden crown that sat upright on his head.

“Lauren?”

The glass was scattered all over the floor of our car, the liquid was screaming so loud in my ears that I thought I was going to scream. Julian bent down to pick up the pieces even though I knew he could have just swept it away with a motion of his hand.

He looked up at me with a hand full of glass and the other reaching down to pick up another shard. “Lauren? Are you okay? You looked like you just say a ghost or something.”

Something, I wanted to say. It was definitely something.

The liquid was back to its fake golden colour. But the screaming made it seem less tempting. Julia didn’t have his glamour on anymore. Which meant something was wrong. Something.

“I want to get off” I said. My voice was sounded loose and slippery. I was starting to see crazy colours and the last thing I needed was for Julian to know that I knew what he was. That could only lead to one awful thing. Blindness.

“We’re almost down” he sat back down in his seat, his hands full of glass, concern covering his whole face. “Are you sure you’re-“

Music started playing under the Ferris wheel. Loud. The beat was fast and easy to dance to. People all over the carnival came towards the music and started dancing. I leaned over the ledge and watched people dance and swing their hips, swaying to the music.

Julian came over to my side, his fingers faintly touching my shoulder. Instantly, my vision got sharper and I gasped, everyone that was dancing wasn’t human. They were all…..Fearies. Dancing and cheering, and celebrating. But why?

“We’re celebrating because we found someone apart of me. Someone I thought I would never find again” Julian whispered into my hair. His nose dug a bit into my neck. I was fully aware of the fact that I could feel his crown resting against my head.

I stared down at all the faeries that were exposed to me. Their glamour’s shimmered in the moonlight like they were wearing a hell of a lot of glitter. The Ferris wheel stopped moving, staying at the very top once more and Julian kissed my neck softly.

The drink he gave me chose that moment to kick in. I tried to push him off me but it seemed like I was playing around instead of being serious. The bubbles rose to my head, half singing half screaming at me to give in. Just. Give. In.

And then his lips were on mine.

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked this chapter!