Chapter 4

Naomi

Stumbling back at the sound I look around for the source, in hope that it was someone near me. Then the voice speaks again.

“Do not fear me, my child for I am you and you are me. I would never harm you, but will always be in the back of your head to warn you of harm. I shall return when I feel you need me but read the journal when you are able to.”

Shivering, I replay the cryptic sound of the woman’s voice in my head. What the f*ck was that? What the hell is a slayer and why do I feel like I just signed my name on a contract of my own death? I don’t know what’s going on here but I need to get home before I get in trouble for being out too late. Looking down at the woman, whose name I never got. I wonder what to do.

I can’t just leave her here like this; maybe I can call 911 so they can come to her. Then just make sure I’m gone before they arrive. How am I going to possible call them and have my identity a secret? Maybe she has a phone. Looking down I cringe and say a silent prayer to be forgiven for this, I search her pockets. Just when I’m ready to give up I decide to check her jacket and find one.

Picking it up I dial 911……

“911 what’s your emergency?”

“A woman…..She was attached by these things and I just I don’t know….The thing it killed her she’s dead and I don’t know what to do, I just I don’t know….” I say but start to choke up when the events hit me.

“Ma’am I’m going to need you to calm down and tell me your location. Can you do that for me?”

Taking a deep breath I continue. “I’m at the down town cemetery”

“I have sent some men to help; I need you to stay where you are. Okay?”

“Noooo! I’m sorry I just I wanted someone to get her. I can’t stay I have go home” Scrambling to my feet I pick up the journal and run in a panic.

Looking at my hand I realize I was still holding the phone, putting it to my ear I hear the woman trying to still speak. Instead of answering I just throw it down before leaving the cemetery. As I hit the exit I hear the ambulance in the distance heading my way. In an effort to avoid them I turned to the left and started the walk home the long way. Sighing I mentally prepare myself for what I’m going to have to deal with when I get home. I am way past my curfew and I forgot to call. With any luck their both sleep and I can lie and say I came home an hour late instead of 4.

I think this is ridiculous that at my age I have to be worried so much if I miss curfew. I used to have freedom and the ability to be out with my friends for extended amounts of time. Then again that was when I had my dad still and my mom actually noticed things in my life. I know she cares but she doesn’t pay attention to me anymore, like how she used to…..

Thirty minutes later I see my house is coming up in the distance. Thinking it would be better I climb up to my room and at least place this journal in there to keep it safe. With that thought in mind I climb the tree next to my window and throw open my window and climb through it. Once in securely I look around to find a good place to put the journal that no one else will stumble upon it. Then it hits me I can hide it inside my closet under the floor boards. Racing to the closet I move the carpet over and open the boards and place the book securely in its hiding place.

Sighing I stand and walk back to the window and climb back out. Hitting the ground with a soft thud I make my way to my front door.  Reaching my door I hear voices inside. I guess I can’t lie my way out of this one. Taking a deep calming breath I open the door and walk into the ciaos.

“Where in the hell is that ungrateful child of yours at! I bet she’s whoring around. You just wait until she gets home. She’s going to learn to come home on time.” Cringing at the shouting, I keep walking in so they can see me.