Worth the Risk

*Okay Tommy, now you're just being mean

Exactly where we left off...

~

~PRESENT MOMENT~

"Did you ever go to see her?" Tommy asked.

"Yes," Toni said. "I did. The next day..."

~TWO YEARS AGO~

Polly had led Toni to her mother's hospital wing. Living in the hospital, Toni was bound to find out about her mother anyway.

And Toni would be living there for a long time, Polly had made sure of it.

Stopping in front of the correct door, Polly knocked.

"Who is it?" a voice from the inside called.

Toni looked at Polly for a moment, then she called out in response, "It's Toni. Toni Langley."

There was a pause for several moments as a fit of coughing was heard inside. 

Then there came a small "Come in."

Polly moved to open the door but Toni spoke up.

"I want to go in alone," she said.

Polly's was flustered but she nodded anyway.

The truth would surely come out now.

Toni, although nervous as hell, opened the door and stepped boldly into the room. She was unsure what awaited her.

Polly watched as the door closed behind her.

"Fuck," she murmured to herself. What was she going to do now?

~

Toni took a tentative step forward. The room was similar to hers but a little larger.

She saw a small woman, of her same color, on a bed. She was covered in several small breathing contraptions.

Slowly, removing the medical equipment from her mouth, the woman stared at Toni with shock.

With trembling hands, the woman covered her mouth. Tears began to rush down her face.

"H-hello...mother," Toni said.

Her mother sobbed louder and extended her arms, beckoning Toni forward.

"Come here, child," she said softly.

Toni swallowed her fear and came slowly forward.

When she was an arm's length away, her mother reached out to touch her.

"Oh," her mother quieted her tears once she touched Toni. "It is true. My baby's alive." She drew Toni closer and closer until Toni found herself held in the warmest embrace she had ever felt.