o n e

I was age 13/14 when writing this, read at your own peril lmao

Phil
An unknown force sent chills travelling down Phil's spine, he couldn't decide if it was nerves or just the cold April morning.

The eyes of his mother looked empty and were glassed over with tears, they'd both agreed to write as often as they could given the circumstances. Neither one of them knew how long it'd be until they saw each other again, Phil assumed it'd a couple of years at least.

He'd promised himself he wouldn't cry, for his families sake if not his own - but he'd always been the emotional type. Instead he chose to roll at his eyes sarcastically at his mum, despite being in a less severe but similar state.

"As your mother, can't I be upset that you're leaving?"

"I'll be back before you know it." he tried his best to reassure her.

The beep of the car horn signalled it was time for him to leave. The last thing he heard was loud shouting by his family that the driver shook his head at - Phil empathised with him, the amount of family's he would've separated over his career would be enough to get on his nerves as well. As he got into the car he held his hand up and waved, then he shut the door.

The engine then began roaring, the wheels began to turn and everything he knew and loved became smaller and smaller until eventually it was out of sight completely.

The driver sat behind the steering wheel was dressed in a black suit and wore dark sunglasses, he looked more like a spy from the film he'd watched with his brother a few days before. The mans expression was dismal and grave; Phil stayed silent in fear of annoying him further.

There was a tedious eight hour drive ahead of him. The destination was the In Speciali Vero Academy, a boarding school for other kids like him, people with gifts and talents that most humans didn't possess.

Phil had an ability to manipulate the world around him, telekinesis, he could move and change almost anything he wanted; though it was a rare occurrence that he'd put his powers to use. Sure, they'd help him win the annual primary school talent show with moving object 'illusions' when he was younger and had made tidying his room far easier, but other than that he didn't use the power all that often.

His parents tried their very best to hide it, scolding him each time he'd do anything out of the ordinary in public. It worked for a while, but a slip up had meant been found out and was forced to leave his hometown to go to the school, where 'he'd be safe' and 'his powers wouldn't hurt anybody' - not that hurting people was an intention that came to mind.

He had to stay there until the age of twenty when he was deemed ready to leave; there was no contact between him and the outside world aside the occasional phone calls, which were few and far between.

From there on his life would drastically change, his eyes would be opened to a whole new world with new people, people like him. The butterflies in his stomach were the result of fear for the most part, but he remained quietly optimistic that it was only his mind being irrational and the next few years would be better than he'd been thinking.

A stern pair of eyes met his as soon as he'd reached the gates of the school. Phil prayed that all the members of staff wouldn't look so frightening.

"Mr Lester, I assume?" he asked. The man at him, there was something about the expression on his face that was incredibly intimidating.

Phil nodded his head, for the second time that day not wanting to say anything.

The man began to move forwards, he followed the man into the school and into a a small room, the gold plaque on the door read 'Headteachers office'.

"Welcome to the In Speciali Vero Academy, my name is Mr Barnes, I am the headteacher at the academy. I assume you're well-aware of why you're here?"

He nodded once more.

"Due to the lack of outside contact you'll endure here we try to give students as much freedom as we can, however we do have some ground rules. One, nobody leaves their rooms after midnight. Two, no one goes into anybody else's room after eleven without permission. Three, the woods to the left of the school are out of bounds at all times.

Freedom can be taken away just as easily as it is given and if any of these rules are broken you will lose said freedom and will receive a punishment. You will face an isolation for at least a week depending on how serious the violation is, meaning no talking or contact with anyone inside of school, as well as anyone on the outside as normal."

Phil thought of the isolation threat. It was bad enough not being allowed contact with people outside of the school, he didn't want to think of a place where he couldn't even talk to the people inside. He'd lose his mind with no one to talk to.

"Make sure you stay on top of your academics also," Mr Barnes continued. "Ensure all homework and classwork is completed on time and to an acceptable standard. Good work is rewarded with a monthly allowance providing you're doing well enough, there are shops you can visit with adult accompaniment.

Seating plan in your classes are identical in each of your classes so there'll be one person with you at all times, they'll also be in a nearby room at night - it brings a sense of familiarity, helps to keep the homesickness at bay.

I've sent someone to take you to your room to unpack and get ready. I hope you enjoy your time here and that when you leave you'll be prepared  for the future."

Phil thanked the man and opened the door again to find a boy waiting on the other side. He was around the same height as Phil, which was surprising since he was over 6ft tall, he had straight brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Hi I'm Chris."

He sounded awfully cheery Phil thought, he sounded happy enough that the place couldn't be all that bad.

"Don't let Barnsey freak you out, he's all bark, no bite. Your rooms a few minutes away, come on."

He followed Chris around old fashioned brick buildings and up flights upon flights of stairs. Phil felt ashamed that his physical fitness level was so poor that his legs ached after ten minutes of walking. They stopped at a wooden door, 'Room 43, Phil Lester'.

"It looks like we're here, your rooms going to look a bit bare at first but you can use your money to decorate it however you like. Your uniform should be on your bed, but you only have to wear it during school hours. If you need anything I'm down the hall in room forty-eight, I'll see you around."

Opening the door Phil was greeted by white walls, wooden flooring, a wardrobe, a chest of draws and a bed with a neatly arranged pile of clothes folded in the middle of it. Observing the clothes he saw a black jacket with what he assumed was the schools logo, with a circular red badge attached to it, pairs of grey pants, and several white shirts. It seemed pretty normal, though he wasn't sure if he was expecting anything out of the ordinary.

There was also a piece of paper 'Lester, Phil - Class 11-B' it read, Phil assumed it was some sort of timetable. He had basic lessons but some others he'd never heard of: maths, English, science, history, French, usage of gifts and study of talents. He was curious about the last couple. The lessons for the next day were study of talents, history, French and English.

The time according to the watch on his wrist was nine in the evening, two hours until curfew - though he was far too tired to stay up until then; the idea of walking around the school alone didn't sound all that desirable in Phil's mind anyhow.

Picking up the clothing from the bed, he lay them in the same pile as before, only on the floor this time around. He then got into bed himself and switching off the lights, not bothering to even change into more comfortable clothing.