twenty - one hell of a summer

"Listen, guys. We've always done things the same way; yellow pages, flyers, san jose mercury news." Sal told team Lyle as he wiped down the counter. The whole team was stood in front of him now, with their computers out and ready to try and win this thing.

"I mean we're all creatures of habit, am I right Sal? There's no question about it. You know what the scariest thing in life is? The thing in life that frightens us the most?" Billy started, and then paused for effect. "Change."

"And by the way I think most people are guilty of getting set in their ways, I know I need change to come a long and give me a little kick in the ass to get me movin'!" Nick added, the two of them obviously bringing their sales skills to play.

"Listen guys, I know where you're going, but... I'm not gonna change anything." Sal remained stubborn, and wouldn't give into anything so easily. "Like I told your friends, we're getting by okay."

"Sal with all due respect if you fight through your limitations you get to keep 'em do you hear yourself? Okay! I mean okay isn't good! Okay isn't great!" Billy and Nick started rambling on.

"I mean I'm starting to feel that this guy's selfish! Look, I don't wanna get sideways with you, you're as big as a barn, he looks like he was carved out of a damn mountain for gods sake!" Nick said, referring to Sal's looks. "But you're an artist okay! This is great pizza, Picasso with pepperoni!"

The rest of the team couldn't keep the smiles of their faces, it was something about the way that Billy and Nick spoke to a complete stranger like they'd been friends for years.

Stuart looked over at Cora with a smile on his face, she didn't notice he was staring. In that moment, whilst he was watching her smile along with everyone else, hers was his favourite.

That's when Stuart realised that he had fallen for the one and only Cora Murphy, a sarcastic angel that somehow he was lucky enough to come across in his lifetime. It may've been awkward between them at that certain period of time, but Stuart didn't care when he was getting lost in her beauty.

"And hey, stop it do not even get me started on the sauce is there nutmeg in there?" Billy asked, amazed, and Sal just laughed obviously warming up to the two older guys. "I mean I can respect the fact that you don't wanna divulge, but if I'm right... Don't say anything."

It was then quiet for a few moments, and Billy learnt that he was in fact right.

"Exactly!" Billy cheered, smacking his hands down on the table.

"There's your answer!" Nick added.

"Come on! All I'm saying is, why should Papa John's make all the dough, when Papa Sal's got the better sauce!" Billy waved his hands around whilst explaining.

"You know what, now you're now starting to sound like him," Sal gestured to his son, Frankie, who was stood next to him with a smile. "He wants to open a Sal's in Los Gatos!"

"The bigger chains are killing us, we're barely staying afloat." Frankie added, and team Lyle knew that he was on their side.

"When you franchise you loose quality, you loose taste that people trust," Sal pointed out, and it was a fair point. "You wanna know why my sauce is better? 'Cause I go down to the farmers market every day, I buy them tomatoes myself. I walk down the street, I get the basil, the oregano. Look, guys. I know these people, I'm part of the fabric of this neighbourhood, that's good enough for me."

"Sal, that's better than good enough, that's the best. We're not suggesting that you abandon the neighbourhood, all we're saying is... what if your neighbourhood got a little bit bigger?" Billy suggested, a hopeful expression evident on his face.