Daddy's Girl- Eleven

Someone asked to see Noemi again so...

-Christopher Brown

          "I tell you this for your own good. You just reached stage 3 in your cancer condition Christopher. You barely take your medication, you've been having irregular tantrums with your children, and you're either smoking or drinking." Dr. Luke reassures me handing me a tan gown. I unfolded it and nodded. Hanging my head low in shame, I bite back any tears with the wedging of my aligned teeth into my fleshy lips, swallowing down any and all of my fear.

"I'm trying Doc."

"No you not." My mama says standing in the corner of the hospital room. I've been a mama's boy since I can remember. She was always in my corner, the only woman I know that will be there for me forever. I remember back in preschool I got a F for coloring outside the lines. I cried after I got off the bus, I was told to color in the lines like a good boy. I wasn't no good boy. I stole girls juice boxes, told them I loved them, hell I even kissed one cause she was cute. I was a rebel child, if it isn't obvious. She stood up for me like a good mom, she told off that white toothpick woman, told her I was doing art to the best of my ability and that I had an extraordinary imagination.

"I know I'm not." I finally admit.

I threw up five times last night, called out of work sick, couldn't take the kids to school, and well now I'm here. I had alcohol poisoning, toxics my system refuses to handle after my twenty years of bullshit. It was starting to shut down, I hate to say it but Dr. Luke doesn't even beat around the bush. And he shouldn't have to.

"Well I'll have a nurse come to take your vitals and only three family members at a time please. I'll be back with some antibiotics, please get some rest and think about what you're doing." He says shaking my mama's hand then mine and leaving out the double doors.

-Noemi Brown

"Hurry the hell up!" Carter yells out the window of the car his mom's boyfriend brought. Some NBA player Shannon snagged years back and hasn't stopped dating. I was talking with Vionni behind the stadium after cheer practice. He was ready to start football practice.

"You coming over tomorrow right?" He asks cleaning up his cleats, his mouth guard hanging sloppily out his mouth. I watched him for a moment before I replied.

"I don't know anymore, I might be busy."

"Busy." He chuckles and shakes his head. "You stay busy."

"Sorry my dad has cancer and his family needs his right now asshole." I shove my shoulder pass him and he grabs onto my arm and spins me around.

"Don't be like that, I'm sorry babe."

"Whatever V. I'm going home." I readjust my bag and listen to him snicker about me as I walk away.

"Nice thong." He remarks as I jog down the rest of the steps. My face churned with a red glow as I finally reached the car. One of Carter's girlfriends or just girlfriend sat in the front on her phone.

"Why are you giving her a ride?" I ask as he pulls off.

"Cause my ride is late." She answers for me.

"Carter, seriously we're supposed to be going straight to the hospital. You know that's what Levi said to do!" I complain.

"Oh grow up you freshman." She laughs.

"Bitch shut up I'm in the 10th grade." I scoff.

"Who you calling a bitch, bitch?"

The car suddenly pulls over and Carter gets out immediately, walking over to her side of the car and opens the door. "Get out, who the fuck you think you talking to? She my little sister, show some respect or get out yo."