Heartland

Today, i was packing up to leave New York again.Then, mom barged in and said, "It's time to go!"

  I looked out the plane window at all the clouds and New York. My mom started talking about the horses and the farm, so I put earphones in, listening to the hot new songs by Maroon 5 and Carrie Underwood.  Lou looks at me and pulls my earphones out.

        "Lou, why'd you do that? What's your problem?" I added with a bit of sass.

        She gave me a look and snatched my phone. She shut it off and I said, " what the heck?"

  "Amy, you need to listen to mom when she talking to us."

     Oh my god, I was ready to punch her. Soon, after a few safety regulations, the plane landed in Calgary. It was so country I wanted to vomit.

   Lou, and mom had already loaded into Grandpa Jack's truck. He motioned for me to get in.

             "Well. What are you waiting for? Hop to it! I have cattle to feed."

         "There's no room!"

      He sighed and yanked open the horse trailer.

              "Oh! No way am I staying in there!"

         I hadn't seen what he was reaching for , when out stepped a beautiful black horse.

        "This is Sundance. Remember him, Amy?"

             I stared at my hunter-jumper pony, who I had retired years ago, after moving to New York. I grumbled about putting my boots on, as grandpa tacked him up.

       "Wait... You want me to ride him??!!!??? All the way to Alberta? Are you crazy?"

         "Well, it's either this or you can walk."

      I clambored aboard the black and white tabiano.

             Grandpa got in the truck, and started the engine. It backfired and he waved for me to  go. 

     Finally, after a 3 hour gallop through the woods (with the map grandpa gave me. Yeah, he sure has a nice sense of humor.) we got back home. I stretched my sore muscles, and took off my boots. Only to find, Lou. Cooking. Last time she cooked in New York, she practically burnt the apartment building! 

        While she was most likely poisoning us,  I started up a conversation with Clint, a probabtion officer, who, by the looks of it, wanted to bring a young man by the name of Ty Borden to work here as an extra ranch-hand as his community service. I hope he's cute and worth it because guess who got t0o show him the ropes? Oh, yeah. Me. A few months later, I went on a trail ride with Sundance. (Who totally scored in cross-country genes)  and saw a man (Who by the name on the ranch is Mallen.) abusing a horse. I rode Sundance home, urging him to go as fast he can  and told me mom every single detail.

          "Mom! We have to rescue him! We have to rescue Spartan!"

   "Oh, Amy! You've already given him a name?"

   "Mom, please!" I begged, tears springing into my eyes.

        "Alright! Let's just get back before that storm hits."

     We were in the truck, heater going full blast, when we pulled into the Mallen yard.

       "In that back barn, Mom!"

      "Amy stay here."

       I didn't listen. I had to rescue Spartan. Lightning boomed and flashed. We raced towards the barn and had reached Spartan. He reared up again and again.

  'Amy! Get me his leadrope and then go unlock the trailer!"

  I ran for the trailer, and it slammed open, barely missing my fingers.

     A guy, who looked to be in his forties, held out a rifle.

      "Mom!"

     "Let go of my horse! Your trespassing! I am calling the cops!" 

        Spartan reared and lightning lit up the sky.

    "Go ahead! You'll be saving me the trouble! This is considered neglect and animal abuse in the province of Alberta, Mr. Mallen!"

      He let it drop. Spartan was loaded into the trailer and we took off, carefully, becuase with Spartan and this storm, who knows what could happen.

       "Mom! Look out!"

           The tree came crashing down on top of the car, and we went screaming down the steep decline of a slope.

     "Hold on, Amy!"

          She slammed the brake, but it did nothing.

   Then, all I remember was a searing, white light, and a loud boom.

  *Edited by Horsepassion on 11/27/2013*