♛ Chapter 33

♛ It was time to meet Kevin, Meadow and Krista. I had been putting it off for far too long and I needed to apologize for abusing their trust and lying to them. I also somehow hoped to tell them how much they meant to me, but I didn't think they would listen to me or trust me right now. Being slightly cowardly I asked Lyda to make the arrangements for them to come to the Palace and to stay here for a few days if they were willing. I wouldn't force them to come visit.

All expenses paid by me, private jet, limo, spa treatment and the whole Royal Welcome. I wanted to dazzle them with Royalty.

The day finally arrived and I had Lyda escort them to my office, I had previously arranged for Kendrew to join us a few minutes later when he was free. All three of them had arrived last night and had been pampered and treated well, I made sure of it. I didn't meet them until they had a chance to settle down.

Kevin and Meadow walked in holding hands, while Krista followed them. They all bowed their heads to me and I inwardly sighed, but it was protocol. I had some coffee, tea and soda prepared and I showed them to a small lounge area in front of the large window looking over the gardens.

Meadow exclaimed how beautiful they were and I thanked her as I handed each of them their drinks. I knew what they enjoyed and made sure to have it. I tried to gage their mood, but I knew that the Palace and Guards and all the rare artworks and furniture could be a little overwhelming.

Sitting down I took a deep breath. "Thank you for coming to see me."

Kevin smiled a little and replied, "Well we could hardly refuse a Royal Summons."

I laughed a little and jokingly said, "Well I hope it was conveyed to you that you could refuse without any repercussions in any way."

Kevin sipped his coffee and softly said, "I wonder if that's ever really true."

I leaned in slightly and looked him in the eye, "It's absolutely true and if you want to leave now you have my blessings and protection. In fact I would deserve it."

Meadow touched her mate on the arm and got directly to the point, "My Queen, it hurt us knowing you were only using us to get information. We trusted 'Lux' and she was our friend."

I looked at Meadow and took a breath. "It hurts me to know that I abused your trust, I want to apologize to all three of you and hope you will forgive me. I don't deserve or expect it, and I acted horribly. I pulled you into a private vendetta that you had no knowledge of. If it's any consolation I tried to protect you afterwards by taking full responsibility."

Kevin put his coffee down, "Lux, you-"

"Queen, my dear," Meadow cut in and Kevin nodded to her. They had obviously talked about this.

Kevin continued, "My Queen, I trusted you. I trusted you with not just our lives, but with the life of my baby girl." Kevin nodded toward Krista who merely blushed. "You made a fool of me and betrayed our family."

My heart constricted at the pain of remembering. "You're right Kevin, I did betray you in a cruel and heartless way. I can never make up for it. And I will tell you that you, all three of you, gave me a family when I needed it. You gave me a place to go when I needed a break. You made me believe in the possibility of maybe finding a mate someday and having a family."

I sat back and sipped some more coffee. "You made me believe that I could love and I can never thank you enough for that gift. I can never say I'm sorry enough, I can never tell you all how much you meant to me- and still do."

Kendrew took that moment to enter my office, absently rubbing his own chest at my pain. I smiled and stood when I saw him, and he walked over and took my hand and kissed my cheek. "Kendrew, I believe you remember the Patterson's. Kevin, Meadow, and Krista."