Chapter Eight

"Pop quiz!" Mrs. Neighbors practically screamed at us as we walked in the door. 

"Aw!" Everyone said in unison. I went to my desk and sat down. 

"Okay, okay. Come on. Let's sit down and get started." I put all of my stuff on the floor. Wait, where's Blake? I thought. He should be here by now. I couldn't concentrate on my quiz. All I could do was stare at the door.  Bring! Well there's the bell. Why hasn't Blake showed up yet? 

I walked out of the door hoping to see him at his locker. I walked down the hallway. I think today I'm going to go to Blake's house. I need more help. I think I'm close to failing. I looked up as I got close to my locker, and there he was with his head in his locker. 

"Hey Blake." I said softly. I think I might have startled him because he jumped a little. 

"Oh. Hey." He said as he turned back to his locker. 

"Why were you not here for first period?" 

"Oh, um, I missed my alarm. So I just got here a little late. That's all."

"Well, okay. Is it okay if we pick back up on the tutoring? I kind of need some help."

"Oh, yeah that's cool. I got to get going."

"Yeah. I'll see you later." Oh my gosh. There is something wrong with him. 

the rest of the day pretty much flew by. Lunch was the same as always. Halle talking, me listening. I went to my locker at the end of the day. Let's see, what will I need. I look in. I'll need my algebra book, notebook, pencil, deodorant. Yeah we're good. I grabbed my purse and walked to the doors. It's only going to take about fifteen minutes to get to his house, and he should be there by then. 

I spent most of the walk thinking about him. I just don't know what to do. I got to his house and knocked on the door. Blake answered the door. 

"Hey. Come on in." He was a little more happier than he was at school. I followed him up the stairs. He still looked like something was wrong.

"Blake," I said.

"What?" he replied. 

"What's wrong? You seem like something's wrong." I just looked at him for a few minutes. He looked like a kicked puppy. 

"Nothings, really, wrong i guess."

"Blake, tell me." 

"My parents are getting a divorce. I don't know to do." He already had tears in his eyes. I just looked at him. I got on his bed with him and pulled him into a hug. 

"It's going to be alright." I just sat there and let him cry for a while. I know he needed this. We sat there for almost an hour. We were just about to go downstairs when his mom came up and asked if I was staying for dinner. I guess it wouldn't hurt.  We went downstairs after that. We both sat down on the couch and turned on Spongebob. Who says two fifteen year old teens can't enjoy someSpongebob Squarepants together?

After a couple episodes, his mom came in and told us that dinner was ready. I looked at him to see his expression but he was already up and moving toward the table. I followed. We walked into the kitchen and I saw a circular table with four chairs all around it. I pulled out the one closest to Blake.  He just kind of looked at me for a minute. I guess his mom noticed because she started to talk.

"Well, we have Italian Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, along with green beans." She said as she started to pile Blake's plate and then mine. 

"Thank you for having me stay for dinner Mrs. Matthews." I said as politely as I could. 

"Oh please darling, call me Tara."

"Okay then, Tara. Thank you."

"It's no problem dear." 

We spent the rest of dinner just chit-chatting back and forth. Tara is a stay at home mom for sure. After dinner, Blake asked me if he could walk me home. 

"Yeah." I said. "That'd be nice." I got my stuff together and told his mom goodbye.

"So," I said as we left his driveway. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know. Did you know my dad used to be in love with your mom back in high school?"

"Really? I mean, I knew our moms were friends, but, that's just weird." I said as I started to laugh. He joined in.

"You know, That's the reason they weren't friends anymore. My mom liked him but he liked Tiffany. I guess you could say it was kind of a love triangle."

"Yeah I guess you could." I looked up from my feet and saw my house. "Well, here we are. Thanks for walking me home."

"Yeah, no problem. Thank you for what you did, up in my room I mean. I appreciate it."

"It's no problem. Really. I was just trying to be a good friend." He just looked at me. I just noticed we were standing really close. Close enough that if I looked down, my head would brush against his chest.  I started to bite my lip. Is he going to kiss me? I thought, and before I could think anything else, He had his lips pressed against mine. His kiss was tender and sweet. Everything I thought A first kiss should be. Before I knew it, I was kissing him back. 

I pushed myself back. "My parents are inside. I should probably go." I said.

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow." He said. 

"Okay." I kissed him on the cheek and yelled bye as I ran into the house. I closed the door and just leaned against it. Is he still out there? I thought. I went over to the window. He's just standing there with a smile a mile long. I opened the window.

"Blake! You need to go home!" I shouted smiling myself.

"Yeah, I know!" He said as he waved and started to walk off.  

Did all of that just happen?