Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Are you Troy?" I asked, although I knew the answer. My hands shook as I continued to glare at the man who had killed so many people. "It sounds like you had hoped I would never return and mess up your plans."

"Esa, you're doing a good job. Just get both of them to talk," Samuel whispered again into my ear. "We're here."

A tense silence hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity.

Finally Troy cleared his throat. "Don't be silly. I want you on my team. You being gone was not an advantage, it was a disadvantage." Troy slowed his walk. "By the way, how is Samuel?"

"Leave my brother out of this," I snapped, ready to take on both of them and protect the rest of the team.

"Oh, Esa." He wagged his finger in the air.

"Stop. You really don't want to piss me off. Do you?" I asked. I was fine with either answer. Killing him and Luther would make my day.

"Calm down," he responded. "I'm merely here to talk with you, Esa." He held his hand in front of his body. "I'd like for you and the rest of the team to join our mission and get out of this god awful place. Your mother was a great scientist, but she was never as good as me."

"You are killing innocent people and trying to change the course of history. You're a reckless murderer."

"Esa, you need to get control of your emotions," he responded in a cold tone. "Calm down. Calm down. Shhh. Your mother was supposed to give me the codes, we were going to work together on a great project, but on the scheduled day she arrived here with you and told us she had decided to go in a different direction. Can you imagine how angry that made me?"

"Shut—"

Suddenly, a burst of light exploded in the room. Samuel and Theo were standing in the middle. I looked down at the glass floor. More of the bodies had opened their eyes and were staring at all of us.

Before I could say or do anything else, Theo's thick arms wrapped around my waist and yanked me back behind him.

Samuel crossed to Luther and landed a fist to the side of his jaw. The impact caused Luther to take a step back, but it didn't faze him.

Luther sneered before grabbing Samuel and throwing him across the room. Samuel's body flew through the air like a rag doll. It hit the opposite wall with a loud snap. Theo spun. An angry fire burned in his eyes as he dove for Luther and rammed his shoulders into our former teammate's stomach. Luther's body made a loud thud as it smacked against the back wall. He shook his head before getting back up and running full speed toward Theo.

I stepped in front of Theo and held up both of my hands. A ball of electricity about the size of a basketball shot out and hit Luther in his scared stomach, forcing him to stumble back.

"I thought you were tougher than that," I spat at him. "You're nothing."

We watched for several seconds as his body shook from the new source of energy. Luther then turned back toward us.

"Bwhahahaha," Luther bellowed. "I'm going to destroy all of you. That was just a warm-up, but I see you all want to play. So, let's play."

"Don't listen to him," Samuel called. "He's just trying to get under your skin."

As Luther got closer, Theo let out a bolt of electricity. The intensity was so hot that it burned blue. As the electricity connected with Luther's body, it spread from one line into many, touching every limb and causing a burning smell to fill the air.

Samuel jumped up and grabbed Troy. Seconds later, Troy also crumbled to the ground. Theo reached around and grasped my waist. Then he yanked on his medallion. As the Jump Line opened, Theo pushed my body forward. I glanced back in time to see Luther open his eyes. A look of fear crossed face. He knew we were going to leave him.