5

I didn't go looking for a boyfriend.  He kind of just came to me.  Caleb was a friend of mine, not incredibly close, but we often hung out in the same crowd.  He asked me out on the last day of freshman year in front of everyone.  It was very hard not to say no to him.  He was undeniably attractive with baby blue eyes, soft honey brown hair, and an athletic body.  He was the guy that every girl wanted and he just so happened to like me.

Caleb and I basically spent the entire summer together.  I almost forgot about Xavier.  All I knew was that he was working at his dad's company in the city all summer.  He still seemed to be avoiding me and I did the same.  It was funny how a year ago, we were joined at the hip.

"Babe, you want ice cream?" Caleb asked.

"Sure," I replied as we approached the ice cream shop on the busy street of New York City.

The shop was pretty crowded seeing that it was very hot today.  When we finally got our ice cream, I turned around and my ice cream cone almost slipped out of my hand, but someone else steadied my wrist, preventing the cone from falling.

"Sorry," I immediately apologized before lifting my head to see none other than Xavier standing in front of me.

"You should be more careful MK," he tsked.

"Xavier, who's this?" A very pretty blonde girl beside him asked.  I assumed she was the same girl from before.

"This is Monique." He introduced me and then looked over to Caleb curiously. "And..."

Caleb didn't spare a second to introduce himself.  "Caleb, Monique's boyfriend."

For a second, I swore I saw Xavier's smile waver but he flashed an award winning smile to Caleb.  "It's nice to meet you, Caleb. I'm Xavier." He held out his hand and shook Caleb's.

"I'm Ashley, Xavier's girlfriend," the blonde girl added with a sweet smile.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, faking a smile.

"Xavier talks about you all the time," Ashley exclaimed.

"Really?" I asked surprised as I looked at Xavier who just rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Yeah, he says you're practically the little sister he never had."

"Oh, I see." I felt my face fall a bit, but continued wearing a smile. "Well, he's like the older brother I never had too."  I guess he only thought of me as a sister.  That kiss probably meant nothing to him after all.

"We should probably get going if we want to catch our movie," Caleb interrupted.

"Right.  It was great seeing you Xavier and Ashley." I nodded at the two and took Caleb's hand in mine to leave.  Then I halted, remembering something and turned around to look straight at Xavier.  "You were right.  Kissing isn't disgusting, it's great."

----------
Did you guys get Monique's reference with her last sentence to Xavier? Here's a little recap from chapter 2 when Monique caught Xavier kissing Anastasia:

"Ew," I blurted causing them to break apart from each other, "kissing is disgusting."

"Kissing is great," Xavier retorted, shooting me a glare.
----------