Chapter 21 Caught

"Did you really think you could eavesdrop on my conversation and I wouldn't know about it? I know everything that goes on around the island, regardless of if it takes place in your camp or not." I frowned, squinting my eyebrows together as I realized Pan wasn't speaking to us, but rather to a larger man wearing attire similar to the girl, Tiger lily. "Come on Chief, you know better than that."

I watched as the man slowly lowered his hand from behind his back at the sight of Pans amused grin and excited eyes, stepping from the shadows and revealing a dagger carved from wood with an arrow head secured to the top by thick looking vine. "We meant you no harm." The mans accent made it much harder to understand what he saying than when Tiger Lily spoke. "Leave my camp, now!"

I jumped a bit at the sound of rage in his voice, bumping into Tate who had moved closer to me when we realized we hadn't been caught. He shook his head slowly at me indicating for me to be still. Pan chuckled, pacing closer to the man, leaving the girl motionless as she watched with fear in her eyes. Pan made a full circle around the man before stopping directly in front of him and pulling a straight face, leaning so close to him that his lips nearly touched his ear.

"Do not threaten me on my island, or anywhere else for that matter. I make the rules. What I say goes. In case you've forgotten, that's how its always been and that's how it'll always be. I'm being incredibly generous by giving you misfits a home. Don't make me regret my generosity." He pulled back suddenly, turning away from them and speaking over his shoulder. "You have seven days to pay me back every extra resource that you took. Don't be late." He took three more steps towards the trees before disappearing into thin air.

***

We made our way back down the trail much faster than we did coming up, emerged in silence, afraid that if we spoke Pan would some how find us immediately. As soon as the entrance to camp came into view Tate froze causing me to slam into his back. "What are you-"

He clamped a dirty hand over my mouth and whispered quietly, "Pans back. Don't ask me how, I can just tell. Be quiet, keep your head down, and whatever you do don't let him see you leave this trail. You got my back I got yours, deal?" 

I nodded my head once, tiptoeing behind him as he peered around a tree trunk into the silent camp. He glanced back at me before dashing across the clearing and into his tent with ease. I mentally told myself that this would be a piece of cake seeing as it was so simple for Tate, easing into the camp and walking slowly towards the tree house.

"Where have you been?" Pan asked suddenly from directly behind me just as my hand touched the ladder. 

I spun around, facing him with wide eyes. "Oh, I went for a walk. Couldn't sleep." I shrugged with ease, giving him a little smile, turning back to make my way up to the tree house just as a burning sensation began to spread out across my wrist. 

His hand shot out, wrapping around my upper arm and slamming my back against the wood. Before I even had time to breath he was pressed against me preventing me from moving, the smirk glued to his face growing a bit as I gasped. "You're a terrible liar, almost as bad as Tate is at being sneaky. Now," He brushed some loose hair out of my eyes, letting his fingers trail down my cheek, his thumb brushing my lips. "Where were you two this fine evening?"

"Nowhere." I replied immediately, praying that he couldn't feel the steadily increasing burning feeling. 

"Nowhere." He repeated. I nodded slowly, bracing myself for his wrath, but much to my surprise he released me, stepping back a few feet and lifting his wrist. "You cant lie to me, remember Princess?"

I gulped, mentally slapping myself for being so idiotic. "I can explain-"

He lifted a hand, cutting me off. "Goodnight, Anna."

I stared as his back as he hurried away from me, leaving me leaning against the tree in a daze. Not only was that the first time he had let somebody who was literally lying straight to his face off without an explanation, but it was the first time he had actually said my name.