TWENTY FOUR

LACEY

The morning after when I woke up, I took a shower, and put on some fresher clothes I picked up from my house yesterday.

It was Monday, we come back to school on Wednesday. Why is it in the middle of the week? I'm not she, but I'm also not complaining.

When I came out into the living room, I found Jack watching tv: Lilo and Stitch. It was around 6am, no wonder.

I sat on the couch as far away as possible, because what he had said the other day was right. He isn't single. Although last night might have been heartwarming and a touchy moment, I know to keep my distance unless he says something.

"You look uncomfortable," Jack says.

"Not at all, I just like the corner of the couch, that's all," I explain, and give him a second glance.

   "Are you trying to avoid touching me or something?" He asked.

   I look down at my feet, which are tucked in real close to me. I look back up at him, and shake my head, "no."

   He scrunches up his eyebrows, and looks back at the tv, "okay."

   Minutes pass, and it's dead silence, everything except the show. Jacks hand reaches overs, and grabs mine. I give him a weird look, "what are you doing?"

   He pulls me over to him, "I want someone to cuddle with."

   "I wonder where Madison is," I respond.

   "She isn't all cracked up to be. You can't tell me you don't want to cuddle," Jack says truthfully.

   I don't say anything back, because I know he's right. I thought he wanted to keep his distance too, but if he wants a cuddling buddy, why is he still dating Madison? I feel as if this is wrong, but don't bother saying anything.

   "I'm hungry," I say getting up.

   He pulls on my hand, "don't go."

   I look at him insincerely. Then he tugs on me again, and starts to tickle me, and I fall back. I begin in a fit of laughter, and he's smiling knowing he got me.

   "Stop, oh my gosh, Jack!" I laugh louder.

   He stops, and I find myself in the position where my head is on his lap, and I'm laying down. My eyes find his, and he plays with a strand in my hair. I smile conveniently, "maybe I'm not hungry."

( )

chapter twenty four: march 1, 2016
edited: june 19, 2017