Night

Chapter 25

Riley was sitting on the tailgate of Lucas' truck, watching her friends have a good time, when another truck pulled up beside her. "Hey sugar! You're lookin' good." The cheerleader stood up and hugged him.

"Hi Zay, thank you! Wanna sit?" He nodded and jumped on the tailgate beside her. "So, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you hate me?"

"Like a 2. Don't sweat it. If things don't work out with Lucas, i'll be here." He winked when Lucas walked up behind them.

"I heard that!" The guys shook hands. "What happened to bro code?"

"Luke have you met her? She's as sassy as me." Riley started laughing and interrupted their conversation.

"Okay, well good to know I have a back up. Secondly, Zay i'm sorry about last weekend."

"Don't you worry your pretty little mind, that was only the beginning of our relationship." The brunette started coughing to hide her laughter.

"Easy Zay, down boy! She's mine and you're starting to sound like me." Riley passed them each a beer.

"I'm DD tonight. Y'all have fun." Lucas leaned over and kissed her, then placed the bottle back in the cooler. The brown eyed girl was confused.

"I don't like myself when I drink." The running back stood in between her legs.

"I've never seen you. How do you get?"

Zay interrupted. "He gets into a fight or 2. Not with people who don't deserve it. But, still." Riley raised her eyebrows and looked back at him with wide eyes.

"Hence why i'm not drinking. I don't get angry, I get protective. I'd like to think there's a difference."

"Not when they both lead to the same outcome. But, if you feel like you can't control it then i'm proud of you for not drinking, we're underage anyways." She winked and after a slow grin kissed him again, then the guys took off. Riley was glad that he was finally able to relax, he'd been working so hard to date her and with school and football he needed a night to unwind. The brunette decided not to dance, so jealous Lucas wouldn't surface, she wanted this night to be perfect for him. Occasionally her friends would come back to visit her but she spent most of the night with Darby. She was laughing at a joke when Chase slid beside her.

"Hey, so you know how I said i'd make it up to you?" Darby rolled her eyes.

"See you Riles." The cheerleader waved bye and turned towards Chase.

"You know how I said it wasn't necessary?" The brunette continued to kick her legs that were dangling from the bed of Lucas' truck.

"Let's go see a movie."

She scoffed, "I've seen them." Chase chuckled.

"You've seen every movie?" He inched closer and the cheerleader immediately moved away.

"Impressive I know." Riley couldn't stop her smile when she saw Lucas talking with his football friends by the bon fire.

"Why are you being difficult? Obviously Lucas doesn't care too much what you do, he's way over there and you're over here."

"First, why do people keep calling me difficult? I'm a freaking joy. Second, I told him to. He needs guy time and I need my alone time." The brunette snapped and looked towards the dance area. Anything to not look at him.

"You are a joy, I agree. And, I wouldn't need guy time if we were together." His cologne wasn't as sweet smelling as Lucas' and her eyes were getting tired of rolling.