Chapter 2

The hovercraft carefully lowers itself on to the ground of District Twelve. That is what awakes me from my nightmare free sleep. I'm surprised I didn't get any nightmares at all. Since this is right after the war.

The large slide door falls down heavily. Haymitch helps me up and down the rough walkway. Lifting my head, I gasp a bit at the sight of the old or new District Twelve.

Large trucks align walkways and land. Heavy building blocks are in piles right next to other supplies. Needed to rebuild buildings. Trees lay in another pile waiting to be planted into the ground.

Workers walk around the area carrying wood and tools. Tools to build houses and restaurants. Buildings like schools and offices. Then it clicks. They are rebuilding Twelve.

They are going to rebuild it so it's totally new. It won't be like the old Twelve or that's what my mind is telling me. Instead, it won't bring back old memories. It will make new and fresher memories.

The old memories will be forgotten. Or tried to be forgotten. People who have suffered the games and the war will still have those nightmares. Haunting you at night or in the middle of the day.

Haymitch gives a small clap. "It's about time."

I question, "What do you mean?"

"They have been planning this. During the war too. To rebuild Twelve, sweetheart."

"That's good. Right?" I ask.

"Yeah. Except they will take the sign down." Haymitch points ahead.

Shakily standing up, is a sign. A sign I used to pass when I was little. The sign I never thought I would actually live in until now. It's the Victors Villages sign. Maybe when they take it down, half of the memories will leave too.

I remember clearly when peacekeepers had dragged me. Dragged me into this house that is still standing up straight. The house that kept me closer than ever to a drunken man and the boy with the bread.

Haymitch and I walk slowly and silently through the gates. The old fountain still sits up straight but has cracks running through it. Snow is pilled in it and drips off the edge.

It's muddy on the sides of the road. The wetness of the sidewalks makes it slippery. Some Snow is left, but it already feels like spring. The spring that I thought would never come.

I haven't seen my flower of hope. A dandelion. The one flower that tells me that soon everything will soon be alright. That everything bad that has happened in the past, will soon be forgotten.

Finally stopping in front of Haymitch's house, we stand there. Still listening to birds chirp songs as they swoop above. In the air free and safe from bombs and guns.

I press my lips together and do Rue's whistle. The whistle that meant everything was now okay. That everyone is alright and not hurt anymore. This whistle was the one that sparked the war a bit. It's also the one thing that helps all me.

Haymitch looks over at me. "You'll be alright sweetheart?"

I look at him. "Yes Haymitch."

"I will check on you in a few days."

"Got it. Don't drink that much." I laugh.

He laughs and gives me a hug. We stay like that for a few. Hugging in the middle of the large sidewalk. I haven't hugged Haymitch since before I left for war.

My mentor sighs. "I will see you soon, sweetheart."

"Take care Haymitch." I tell him.

He gives me a smile. "You too."

I watch as my mentor walks up his house steps and opens the door. He gives me a wave before shutting the door. Burying my head into my scarf, I stand there for a few.

Just watching as squirrels run across the street. As workers build all sorts of buildings. Birds soar up above in the sky, free of everything that has happened beforehand.

It amazes me how life can go on. Maybe mine still can go on. If I forget about the bad past. Think of all those good things that has happened in life. Hopefully all those things that people did good, will be reminded. Us who are still alive will be reminded on what amazing things they have done.

As I mount the steps to my house, I await what comes next. What the next years of life will look like. Alone with no family. No sister. No best friend. No mom.

Maybe someday Peeta will come back to Twelve. All better and healthy. Peeta who will be himself again. His happy, loving, caring guy I fell in love with. The one who I actually felt something on the beach. That one kiss that made me want more.

A feeling jumps inside of me as I close my front door. The boy with the bread will be back. Maybe not now, but soon. Soon enough, he will be back. To help me. We will help each other.

We will help each other grow back together. Protect each other from memories and nightmares. Remind each other who we really. Me a hunter and Peeta a baker and a painter.

I flop myself in my old bed. That has a bit of dust aligning the covers from no use. Not have laid on this bed since the night of the reaping for the Quell. Even though light blares through the window, my eyes start to droop yet again.

And soon, I am asleep. Nightmares awaiting me to fall into a deep slumber. Attacking me with horrible memories of people dying and the games. The war and everything. I just hold onto the blankets tightly. Hoping to fight off the nightmares that start to crawl there way in.

Hey guys.
How are you liking this book so far?
I am having so much fun writing it!
Who's excited for March 22nd when Mockingjay Part 2 comes out on DVD/Blu Ray?
I'm so excited!
Anyway I really hope you liked this chapter.
Please vote, comment, share maybe?
I will update soon!
Madi :)
Word Count: 1020