29

In a second flat I was pushed to the ground, Leo's body covering mine for protection. The room became a war zone quickly. People were running in every direction, trying to find the nearest exit as bullets flew through the air. Women screamed in terror, men yelled out orders, and it was all too much for me to take in at once.

My heart pumped out of control as my ears flooded with the sounds of horror and my eyes took in a horrible scene. People were tripping over each other to get out the door, some were shot down, and others were merely pushed into the line of bullets in a fight to survive.

"Are you okay," Leo asked me, his lips on my ear. His weight on top of mine was kind of suffocating but I know that it was the safest place to be.

"I'm fine, are you?"

"Yeah," he panted, "we need to get out of here. I can't find a damn exit anywhere near-"

His words were cut off when a bullet flew past us, hitting the wall right behind our bodies. Another bullet came past us in the other direction followed by a body hitting the floor. I looked up to see Adrik standing above us, his face contorted into fury and a gun gripped in his hand.

"Take her through there," he said, gesturing to the wall of windows that lead to the backyard. "Hide in the gardens. I'll cover you."

Leo jumped up from the ground, dragging me with him. I covered my head with my hands as bullets whizzed past my head. Leo stood by my side so I was between him and the wall. Behind us Adrik was in deed covering us, shooting every second. I didn't bother looking behind me to see who he was shooting at, I already knew.

The Irish.

As we ran across the room in the middle of a shootout I began to scold myself for not noticing it earlier. I always knew that the Irish mob, made up of McCarthy's, and the Krupins' had a long lasting feud. I wasn't sure exactly what it was over but I remember when I was with Adrik he had constant complaints about them. When that man from earlier had bumped into me I should have been suspicious as soon as I heard his accent. What was an Irish man doing at Adrik's house?

I should have realized he was a McCarthy before he shot Dmitri in the back of the head.

We reached the wall of windows showcasing a balcony that lead to a garden full of fountains and statues and flowers of every kind. "None of these are doors, what the hell was he talking about," Leo grunted, pushing his hands on the glass.

All of the sudden the glass shattered in front of us, I jumped back and into Adrik's chest to get away from the fallen shards.

"Use your brain billionaire," Adrik snapped, grabbing my elbow and pushing me through the smashed window that he had shot at seconds earlier.

Leo and I were in the lead once more as we ran through the dark night, Adrik looking behind to make sure no one followed us. My heels made obnoxious noises every time I moved a step and the pain was killing me so as I ran I hopped from one foot to another to take them off.

My lungs were on fire as we ran, more from adrenaline then anything. A part of me was still shocked that all of this was still happening. Leo and Adrik argued on which turns to take through the gardens.

"I know where to go, I'm the one who lives here dumbass."

"Why the hell would we hide in the gardens? We need to get out of here!"

"We're hiding Ivory in the gardens. Would you rather her run through the estate by herself?"

"Will the both of you shut the hell up," I screeched. "Let's find a place to stop and then you guys can argue all you want."