She pulled her head back and raised an eyebrow.

"Why not? You were more than keen to do it just minutes ago." All flirtation had left her voice. "Did something happen with Vallery? Did you two get into a fight?"

I sighed and dropped her arm, but before I could tell her Val and I weren't any of her business, her hand was back on my chest, her barely there touch teasing.

"I'd be more than happy to distract you from that."

"Andy..."

"Besides, Val seems busy at the moment."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw her with some guy in the yard. A cute one too." She winked, pressing her body to mine.

"Where?" I asked.

"I don't know. If we are lucky, one of the bedrooms will be opened and empty."

"Not that." I rolled my eyes at the misunderstanding. "Where did you see them?"

The last salacious flames disappeared from her eyes to be replaced with annoyance.

"The yard. I already told you that. She was pulling him towards the house. Have fun." She waved at me - to say goodbye or to shoo me away; I didn't know and I didn't care - and walked back to the pool room.

I on the other hand headed outside. I spend maybe ten minutes swirling around in search for Vallery and glaring at every guy who might catch her eye, just for good measure. When my efforts proved fruitless, I went inside. My hunt for her was just as unsuccessful in the kitchen. My next target: the living room.

Somehow my eyes landed on them almost immediately. It was like I was drawn to her. Drawn to her smile - the one she tried to hide, the one that was aimed at some dark-haired dude who had his hands on her hips...

My teeth grinded and I squeezed my hands so hard that my short nails dug into my palms.

This was all wrong.

His hands shouldn't be on her. She shouldn't be dancing with him; she should be dancing with me.

He lifted their arms and let Val turn under them before his hands found their way to where they'd been... where they didn't belong.

I wanted to march over to them, grab him and punch him.

But what right did I have to do that?

None.

Not since I'd decided that my friendship with Vallery was too precious to risk by getting together with her. It was just a crush; I'd get over it. Sure, I'd always felt something for her and it was stronger now that she was back in town, but I was probably just confused as I had forgotten what it was like to have her around.

I will get over it.

In the mean time I had no right to act against anyone she was with. I could only watch hem... I didn't want to see them, but I couldn't look away; I tried, but I couldn't.

All I could do was to stare, to glare and to deepen my frown each time he smirked at my... friend.

I felt relieved when she averted her gaze from him.

Had he upset her?

I rejoiced at the idea.

Go on, upset her. She'll punch you in the face then forget all about you.

I shook my head, the urge to bang it against the nearest wall almost irresistible.

What was I thinking?