Part 10

• Dedicated to Lucy McKeever

Hey,

Remember to vote, comment and fan!

Enjoy:

A :)

**************************************

10

Bella:

The bones in my side were one fire. They protested to the only slight jostling from the unatural speed we were flying at.

I felt elated as I realised who was holding me so tenderly while flying through the dark streets of Seattle like my own personal superman.

Edwards glorious scent was engulfing me in ectasy. He was back! He was really back!

I couldn't help but smile through the agony and the fear, -and the warm blood that was slowly but surely soaking the collar of my white shirt.

I tried to think of a way to erase the blood. It would only upset him more. I couldn't loose him again. In my dreamy state I had convientiently ignored the reason I was bleeding. The dangerous blood-thirsty vampires were on our tail, I didn't dare turn around to look at them as snarls and feral hisses filled my ears.

I slipped in and out of consciousness as the snarls grew louder and the fear started to kick in. My only defence was to play dead. I had never felt so weak.

Edward did not look at me as I frequently woke to see the grey dull buildings had transformed into foreboding walls of forest, moonlight streamed thorugh their leaves and made his beautiful face look ghostly and terrifying.

I fell back under the cover of darkness from exhaustion, fear and blood-loss for the fifth time since the chase had began.

I woke to errie silence as we continued to speed through the forest.

The night was no-longer filled with the threatening growls and snarls of the vampires who had wanted to kill us. We had lost them. Edward still didnt look at me. He was in his own world. A world I had been lost to for too long...

****************************************

Edward:

Victoria was tearing up the ground behind us, gaining more ground then was possible, she was so fast, dangerously fast.

I looked at the fresh wound on Bella's thoat with concern, she had been sleeping for too long. I heard a roar of triumph as Victoria and her group of snarling vampires began closing the distance between us.

How could she be so fast, and her scent it was stagnant, like the smell of a rotting corpse; I had never met vampires like them, they all had it, the animal-like apearances, the stench of death, the speed like a ferocious wind. The minds, - the minds that were closed off to my gifts.

I tried to increase my speed but I could move no faster. I felt helpless as the last few feet of safe distance were eaten by her dirty foot-falls.

"YES!"

Her scream of hysteria and blood-lust filled the air as I felt her dirty red hair strike my skin like razors.

I curled protectivley around Bella ready to take the full impact of Victoria's attack but none came, out of nowhere a large brown blur knocked her to the ground.

Jacob's large white teeth scraped against her granite skin, the sound was like fingernails down a chalkboard. She didnt seem to feel it as she tried to bite his neck. Bella remained asleep in my arms as her fiance and enemy fought to the death.

I could do nothing but watch.

I focused on Bella's sleeping face as the sound of metal being torn apart by long canines filled my ears, I tried to ignore Jacobs loud thoughts of adreniline, fear, and the sleeping girl in my arms, the reason he was going to die. Here in the forest that he called home, his blood would spill into the ground and he would become one with nature.

I felt my arms moving as I put Bella behind a tree a safe distance away from the chaos where the pack had joined the fight.

Whatever grudge I held against Jacob I would not let him die. For Bella's sake I would not let the man who had loved her die.

I tackled Victoria from behind, her dead smell near choking me as I tried to pull her off the russet wolf.

Jacobs thoughts were that of an angry toddler.

'What do you think your doing !? Give that vamp bitch back you bloodsucker she's MINE!'

I sent him a look that clearly told him he could let go or seriously think about a scar or two, I said I would keep him alive. I had no sympathy for his good-looks.

Victoria struggled in my death-hold like a cat, her claws scratching the air and her blood-red mouth letting out a snarl so animal-like, it chilled my already ice-cold spine.

'Give me a break bloodsucker, that vamp is gonna kick your ice-cold ass...'

Always so arrogant. I thought. The reasons I was risking my life right now seemed to be shrinking and becoming less important by the second. Well if he had a death wish...

I snapped out of my 'Kick the crap outta Jacob Plan' as Victorias teeth sank into my shoulder. I screamed as the venom entered my bloodstream. Although another vampires bite does not kill us, it is like putting acid on an open wound. The contrasting venoms in my veins were fighting each other for my body, filling my mouth with a liquid that tasted like death. I spat it on the ground. The only way I can describe that bite is agony.

I felt her being pulled away from me as in my weakness, Jacob had grabbed her back. It was as though Victoria was a giant chew toy I had stolen from him.

"Stupid child..."

I muttered. Although I realised now, I was the child in this trio.

Victoria was about to turn around and deliver a bite I knew for sure would kill him as Vampire venom doesnt change werewolves it kills them like a poison. Considering the pain from her deadly venom I still felt throbbing through my veins, I knew it would not be a quiet and peaceful death.

"JACOB!"

I yelled at the over-sized dog.

The wolfe didnt turn, his eyes locked with Victorias as they slowly circled each other in the chaos that surrounded them.

I flew at inhuman speed towards the fighting. I would not let that stupid dog die. I would not look into Bella's eyes everyday and know what she was thinking for once in her life:

YOU let him die. You are no better than Victoria. You are NOTHING to me. Leave me alone...

I knew I would leave. I was only here as long as she wanted me and when she was unconscious or being hunted down by messed up vampires of course.

I stepped back into the shadows knowing Jacob's ego would never let me save his life knowingly.

I started to climb the large dark trunk of the ancient tree next to me, its branches acting cover as I scaled its slippery bark with ease, reaching the top in under five seconds.

I could see everything that went on below from my vantage point in the arms of the swaying tree.

Paul, Embry and Sam were fighting off the three vampires that had followed Victoria in her murderous kill-chase.

The red-head was fighting Sam, her eyes full of blood-lust. She was muttering sleep-music while fighting, her eyes blazing in frustration when it had no effect on the wolfe in the loud chaos.

Beside them were the tall female and Paul; she was moving so fast it was as though she were nothing but the wind. Every move he made she seemed to anticipate it, a powerful defence ready.

I looked again in wonderment as they broke every rule and boundry of our kind. It caused me to ask myself again: What were they?

I broke out of my reverie as I heard a crunch as a bone snapped. Jaocb was limping in agony, as Victoria grinned at the broken hind-leg. She had taken away the one thing they were equal on; speed.

I watched in slow motion as Victoria brought her hands to his large muzzle as if caressing him, but I watched as her razor sharp nails dug into his skin, preparing to rip his head from his shoulders and kill him in cold blood.

Without thinking I jumped.

********************************************

Jacob:

The bitch was going to kill me. I was going to die at the hands of a bloodsucker.

NO!

The Alpha wolfe inside me, the descendant of Ephraim Black, screamed though my body.

A Quileute spirit warrior would NOT die at the hands of the un-dead.

Slowly but surely I stood untill I was again three feet taller than her, her blood stained fingernails stayed in the skin of my neck and I winced. She grinned a sick sadistic grin as she leaned close into my ear, they twitched back in alarm as her vampire stench engulfed me. I smelled death, hatred and sick messed up joy.

"Im going to kill you now...mutt."

Her voice was a harsh whisper and her words made me go numb. She brought her snarling face level with mine by pulling me by the neck so I was level with her blood-red gaze. I yelped in pain as she dug her nails in deeper, I felt the warm dark blood soak into my russet fur making the autumn red darker.

She smiled once more and it was oddly timid as if she were going to let me go.

Hope rose in my chest just as her pupils dilated and grew large, exstinguishing all the white from her eyes.

She bent closer to my throat and I shut my eyes a small tear of defeat escaping. I didnt want to die.

Suddenly the pain was gone and her smell left me. I opened my eyes in shock and then agrivation.

The bloodsucker couldnt even let me handle death on my own. Stupid bastard.

I limped towards them as Edward went in for the kill.

In concentration I didnt notice the tall female kick paul to the side and advance on Edward from behind. I leapt between them at the last minute, a life for a life I thought. I didnt want to be in debt to a bloodsucker anymore than I wanted one to kill me.

The female hissed as I threw her against a tree, it snapped in half and I felt the forest shiver as another one of its kind were killed.

I felt the presence of the elders behind me as they sensed the change. They sat silently in the shadows of the trees.

Finish this.

The chief's voice boomed in my head.

I nodded to the shadows. Paul and Embry were already behind me. Sam was still fighting the red-head. As one, we charged. The vampires pulled together in a group ready to defend each other.

Edward took advantage of the distraction and threw Victoria into them, 'Vampire Bowling' I thought smirking. This looks like fun.

But I didnt have a chance to try it for myself as without a word. They turned and ran.

I thought this was strange but I felt the packs relief as their stench left the forest and they headed south.

Edward had the same look as confusion but left too taking Bella with him.

I didnt look at either of them as they continued to run. I had lost her.

************************

Bella:

I woke in my old bedroom, with the covers pulled up to my chin and a pale hand carressing my face.

Edward looked down at me and kissed my forehead.

I looked at him in confusion as questions flooded my mind.

****************************************************