III. I Don't Matter

Chapter 3: I Don't Matter

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story By

TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

[[TRIGGER WARNING]]

~. . . .~

 ~Jamie's POV~

Once Adrian was in his car and down the road, out of sight, I wandered back into the school. It still boggled me that Adrian actually thought I cared about being popular. I'd never thought about it before, but if I did become popular, it would be easier to keep it a secret. The reason I had to move to a new state. My parents thought I needed a fresh start. Some people are so idiotic. How does my life effect yours in the slightest? So what if I'm gay? I'm proud of it. Even though so many people don't like it, it doesn't mean I have to fit their ideals of a "perfect" society. 

I sighed. I'd have time to worry about this all later.

School went by pretty fast. Mum picked me up afterwards.

"How was your first day?" She asked as I slammed the car door shut.

"Normal, I guess." I replied with a shrug. I'd lived in America for two years and was used to it by now. I still missed the UK though.

"Did you make any friends?" She asked while we drove to our new home. I didn't know how to answer her question. No one really talked to me all day accept the teachers and, well, Adrian. Could Adrian and I become friends? Maybe. At first he seemed uncomfortable around me, but he eventually warmed up. Adrian seemed like a decent kid. I'm curious to say the least. There is something so much more to him. Something heavy rests on his small shoulders. I want to help him. He probably has other people who do too. Adrian seems like a person who thinks their strong enough to deal with it all on their own. I can also tell he's not. Eventually, he's going to break. I'll try to be there when he does.

"Kind of. He's not really a friend, but he's the only kid who talked to me." I finally say. She nods.

"What's his name? What's he like?" Mum asks. She likes to know things. I sigh.

"Adrian. He's... I'm not really sure. He's different. Nice, shy. Really shy. But I'm hoping to get in the friend range." I say.

"Just the friend range?" She asked while lifting an eyebrow. I groan loudly. Obviously my parents know I'm gay. Not surprisingly, it was a shock, but they support me whole-heartedly.

"Yes, mum." To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was lying or not. I didn't know Adrian well enough to say I had a crush on him. Yeah he was pretty cute. It would be nice to see what he looked like without a bruise covering part of his face. Just then, it occurred to me I hadn't seen him smile. Not once. I wondered if he had dimples or not. I was determined from now on to try to get him to smile. As cheesy as it sounds, it was something for me to look forward to.

~. . . ~

Walking through the halls, my eyes skimmed for any sight of Adrian. I finally caught sight of him talking with a boy. Well, they were quietly arguing. Adrian looked tired. The other boy was visibly irritated. I saw how Adrian's shoulders sagged. More importantly, there was another bruise on his face, A more prominent one. I had a feeling it wasn't from running into a wall.

"Hey, Adrian. You alright?" I interrupted. They stopped their hissing to look up at me.

"Who're you?" The boy asked. He looked genuinely confused.