Chapter 9-The Pit

Chapter 9

"How was your weekend with Lucas?" Missy had her arms folded and her weight on one hip.

"Not that it's any of your business. But, great. We had a lot of fun with our friends." She tossed her backpack over one shoulder, but Missy wasn't moving. "Can I help you with something else?"

"Nope." She continued to glare at Riley.

"Oh my gosh, are you trying to have a staring contest with me?" The teammate was getting agitated that she couldn't get underneath the brunette's skin. "If that's all, will you please move out of the way?" She sidestepped giving her just enough room to squeeze by. "Like I said Missy, it's up to you what happens between you and Lucas. Leave me out of it." She exited the locker room and ran into another unwelcome face on the way to her locker. "Seriously, every morning?"

"I heard from a little bird that you spent the weekend with that Lucas guy." He was only a few steps behind her, as she practically jogged down the halls.

"The little birdy speaks the truth. And tell that little bird to mind her own dang business next time." Riley knew who the little bird was. "Not like it's your business either, we aren't together anymore." She made an abrupt left.

"I've been extremely patient Riley." She leaned down and entered her combination.

"First of all, no, you haven't been patient. And this," she gestured at the space in between them, "is completely pointless. You cheated, and I ended it, that is how this conversation will always go. We are staying ended." His face turned red and he balled his fists up. "I'm sorry."

"Oh you're sorry, you're a fu-"

"Stop. And walk away Charlie. I'm not going to let you talk to me like that anymore." Lucas turned the corner to meet Riley at her locker. He saw Charlie's clenching hands and then the fear Riley was trying to hide in her eyes.

"I'm not going anywhere!" Out of instinct Lucas ran and tackled him into the lockers, hurriedly punching him in his arrogant face.

"LUCAS! STOP!" She carefully placed her hand on his shoulder. "Come on, he isn't worth it. I'm not worth you getting expelled. Come on, get off." Before the running back left he grabbed Charlie's collar.

"Leave her alone Charlie. I'm serious." Lucas' voice was trembling and it sounded incredibly gruff, it frightened Riley, among other things. He stood up and adjusted his shirt that had risen enough to reveal his abs. "Come on Riley." He escorted the cheerleader to the classroom and took their usual seats. "You okay?"

"I'm fine. I just wish you wouldn't have done that, you could have gotten into a lot of trouble." She mumbled.

"I could care less about trouble, I care about you. He had his hands in a fist and you said yourself you didn't know if he'd hurt you, wait you didn't actually say anything. Either way the look in your eyes said enough." He caressed her face, and Riley gave into the moment.

"Like I said earlier, he isn't worth the trouble and neither am I." The brunette raised her eyebrows as if to get some sort of agreement out of him."Okay?"

"Of course you are." He reached into his back pack and pulled out one rose, that somehow stayed intact. A smile approached Riley's face and she took it into her soft hands.

"Thank you. It's beautiful." Mr. Matthews walked into the room.

"WHAT'S THAT?" He was pointing towards the flower.

"Oh, I gave it to her sir."

"WHY?"

"Daddy, sit down and calm down. I love you, but this is a classroom full of teenagers. And, I think you're scaring 'em. They aren't used to you yet." He did as his daughter instructed and she turned to smile at Lucas, then mouthed the words "your welcome."