01

"Hey," Daichi slapped my arm, breaking me from my trance. His eyes darted to where I had been staring across the gymnasium, to Coach Ukai and a girl standing next to him.

"Do you know her?" He asked quietly, curiously watching the scene with me now. The girl had a big grin across her face, chatting with Coach Ukai enthusiastically; there was a closeness between them that was hard to place.

"His daughter maybe?" Daichi suggested.

"Seriously?" I scoffed. "I think we would know by now if Coach had a daughter as pretty as her." Daichi nodded, his focus still on the mystery girl .

"Maybe a friend's girlfriend? Or a cousin? Maybe a niece?"

I shrugged at all his ideas, neither of us having any clue. We weren't the only ones who noticed her though; she'd caught the entire team's attention and not everybody kept quiet about.

"Yo, Coach!" Noya called across the gym as he and Tanaka sprinted down the squeaky hardwood floor. The rest of the team quietly followed, a circle gathering around Ukai and his guest.

"Who's the girl?" Noya asked, inching closer and closer to her. Tanaka was following the same routine, a scary look on his face as he glared at Ukai.

"Boys, boys," Ukai groaned, pushing them off of the girl. She giggled, clearly not particularly bothered by their affections. "This is my niece, (y/n). She just moved to Torono* from Tokyo and she doesn't have any friends." She slapped his arm, obviously a little offended.

"It's true!" He protested. "Anyways, she just graduated this past year, so don't be afraid to introduce yourselves after practice. She's off limits to dating though!"

(Y/n) flushed red, looking down at her feet. I couldn't help but admire how cute she was; her (h/c) hair somehow looked luminous even in the harsh fluorescent lighting, and the way she waved and then bowed to the team was too adorable.

"Nice to meet you all," She said, her voice sugary sweet but a little more mature than the girls I went to school with. The whole team bowed and welcomed her before returning to practice but I couldn't help and daydream as I ran laps next to Daichi and Asahi, who didn't even seem to notice I was on another planet in my head.

Why did she move to Torono? There's no big universities around here to go to. Does she live with her family still? Does she live by herself? Does she even go to university? Does she have a job? What does she like to do in her free time? Does she have a boyfriend...?

"...Yeah, she actually lives across the street from me. I've already met her like three times." Asahi laughed.

"You already know her?" I asked incredulously. Asahi looked down at me, surprised to see me rejoin them in the real world.

"Yeah, I helped her move in and my mom's already had her over for dinner twice. I had no idea she was related to Coach though." He said.

"Does she live with her parents?" I asked, trying to keep a cool exterior and not look like a complete stalker. Asahi gave me a suspicious look before answering.

"No, she lives all by herself. She's actually kind of like, famous I guess," He chuckled. "She's a writer. She's had articles in international newspapers and magazines. She's not a pop star or anything but in our standards she's definitely a bit of a celebrity."

The rest of practice went by quickly after our conversation, almost everyone trying to show off for (y/n). Once we were done and changed everybody had gathered around (y/n) again, me and Daichi joining in last. To both our surprise she was speaking fluent English with Takeda, better than the teacher himself. We caught bits and pieces of what she was saying but couldn't make out what the conversation was actually about.