Chapter 16 - Paris

"Paris, welcome to my dad's home," Nico gestured his arm wide.

  I stared in disbelief at the overwhelming palace. For a moment I nearly forgot about my dad; nearly.  Huge obsidian walls, dark majestic columns, all leading to Hades throne of bones. Hades was pacing by the throne, his face grave and agitated.

  "Father?" Nico took what I considered to be a brave step forward, bowing his head low.

  "Son," Hades' voice was gruff, almost angry. Then her noticed me. Hades' cold, black eyes followed me as I bowed to match Nico. The son of Hades stayed bent on one knee, so I followed suit, breaking into a cold sweat.

  "Who is this?" Hades spoke in a bone-schilling manner that had me recoiling sightly. His stare was more sinister than scary; he truly was the God of the Underworld.

  "This is--" Nico began.

  "I can introduce myself," I snapped, my patience waining. Being here, in the presence of one of the big three, was making me on edge and Nico butting in and a answering a question directed at me made me mad. "I'm Paris." I was pleased when my voice came out strong, not fearful as I was expecting.

  "Named after the great city in Europe? Who is your parent, demigod?" Surely he knew who my mom was, right?

  I answered just to be polite, "Athena."

  "Wise, yet skilled on the battle field. Very good," He wasn't appraising, I didn't know what to make of it.

  I simply didn't make eye contact. If you make eye contact with a dog, it's thought to be challenging, so I kept my head down.

  "What business do you have to attend here in my realm, Ms.?" He asked for my last name.

  "Hale." I supplied.

  "We're here to sa--"

  "Nico," I tossed a glare in his direction. What did he think he was doing? "Recently one Gregory Hale...fell into your possession. He is, er, was, my dad. He died of small cell lung cancer. Nico said you might be able to help us bring him back?" I cast a hopeful gaze on Nico's father.

  "Hmm...a simple task for me, yet I assure you, once one has died they are never the same person. Some wish to be reincarnated while others spend their eternities in the Fields of Punishment. Where to you think your father would land?" Hades twirled his black goatee with a finger. 

  "I...I don't know. Isn't that your decision?" I asked, feeling curiosity as well as fear dance up my spine.

  "Mine, and other's." Hades shrugged. "You say your father's name is Gregory Hale?"

  I nodded, feeling my stomach drop several inches and my heart jump several more. 

  With a twist of his wrist, Hades conjured up a clear globe the size of a soccer ball. "Would this be your father?"

  A tall man with wavy hair and bright eyes glanced about himself, terrified. 

  "Dad!" I yelped and ran forward, no longer thinking about manners and offending Hades.

  "I see," The god nodded and carefully handed me the globe.

  I gazed into it, transfixed, as Hades began to talk again. "What idea did you give this young child of Athena, Nico?"

  "That, perhaps, you could bring her father's soul back from this world into the mortal one," Nico was calm and steady as always.

  "You know that if I do that, Nico, everyone will be requesting to bring at least one person back to the world above. I cannot do that. I simply can't. You understand, young one?" Hades gently took the sphere away from me.