THE ACTS AND MONUMENTS OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Commonly known as
FOXE'S BOOK OF MARTYRS
The Reign Of Queen Mary I. - Part I.
Published by the Ex-classics Project, 2009
Portrait of Mary I
THE TENTH BOOK. THE BEGINNING OF THE REIGN OF QUEEN MARY. 5
240. The Abominable Blasphemy of the Mass. 6
241. The Beginning of The Reign of Queen Mary 33
242. Prohibition of Unauthorised Preaching. 40
243. A Disputation On Religion Ordered By The Queen. 46
244. Deposed Bishops Re-appointed, and Appointed Bishops Deposed. 67
245. Wyat's Rebellion 69
246. Lady Jane Grey. 73
247. Actions to Re-Establish Papism. 86
248. Dr. Ridley Disputes On The Scarament. 96
249. Ridley, Cranmer and Latimer at Oxford. 102
250. Disputation of Cranmer at Oxford 108
251. Disputation of Ridley at Oxford 142
252. Disputation of Latimer at Oxford 187
253. Disputation of Harpsfield at Oxford 202
254. Concerning these Disputations 214
255. Various Documents Relating to the Disputations 229
256. Other Things which Happened in this Realm, in this Tumultuous Time. 235
257. The Execution of The Kentish Rebels. 244
258. Disputation of Bradford and Saunders at Cambridge. 252
259. Princess Elizabeth Imprisoned. 257
260. Marriage of Queen Mary and Philip of Spain. Further Actions to Re-Establish Papism 258
261. John Bolton 281
262. The Queen with Child 283
263. The Bow Congregation 288
THE ELEVENTH BOOK. WHEREIN IS DISCOURSED THE BLOODY MURDERING OF GOD'S SAINTS, WITH THE PARTICULAR PROCESSES AND NAMES OF SUCH GOOD MARTYRS, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, AS, IN THIS TIME OF QUEEN MARY, WERE PUT TO DEATH. 295
264. John Rogers. 296
265. Laurence Saunders. 322
266. John Hooper 349
267. Rowland Taylor. 391
THE TENTH BOOK.
THE BEGINNING OF THE REIGN OF QUEEN MARY.
240. The Abominable Blasphemy of the Mass.
ORASMUCH as we are come now to the time of Queen Mary, when so many were put to death for the cause especially of the Mass, and The Sacrament of the Altar, (as they call it,) I thought it convenient, upon the occasion given, in the ingress of this foresaid story, first, to prefix before, by the way of preface, some declaration collected out of divers writers and authors, whereby to set forth to the reader the great absurdity, wicked abuse, and perilous idolatry, of the popish mass; declaring how, and by whom, it came in, and how it is clouted and patched up of divers additions: to the intent that the reader, seeing the vain institution thereof, and weighing the true causes why it is to be exploded out of all churches, may the better thereby judge of their death, which gave their lives for the testimony and the word of truth.