Shades: The Soul Order

• Dedicated to Savannah Simmons

He moved with such ease across the wooden floor's waxed surface. His movements never wavered, though he watched me with such intensity as I tried to mimic him. I fell to the floor, still too small for the sword that I held in my fragile grip. He chuckled, allowing the humor to change what once was a commanding voice, “You're getting better.” He leaned down, picking my tiny body up from the floor.

I pouted inflating my cheeks, only to cause him to laugh even more. “It's not funny Papa!” I chirped, my voice more tearful than angry. I hated messing up in front of him; he was the one person I wanted to be like.

His dark chocolate brown eyes were warm when he set me back down on the ground, “Anirilia, do not cry. You will get better, that I promise.” A smile came to his lips then, warm and inviting. Much to my dismay I giggled, and the disappointment faded. My father always had that effect on me, no matter what the situation he could always make me smile.

With very little prodding I grabbed my sword again. He began his stance with grace, his feet were close together and the blade of his sword was pointed down toward the floor. He held the hilt loosely for what he was about to show me, it was too bad he never got the chance.

The doors to our training room rumbled and groaned under the forces that pushed against them. Shadows started to leak through the cracks that were forming in the frame. My father flipped his sword around while at the same time pushing me behind him, and prepared for the fight that was about to ensue. I watched shaking slightly as a tall creature clad in what seemed to be shadowy armor stepped into the room, a sword with a glowing blue blade rested at his side. “How dare you enter this sanctuary!” My father hissed, taking an agitated step forward.

A deep laugh echoed around the room, causing the walls to shake with its strength. “You dare deny me what is mine?” The creature’s voice growled from behind its dark helm. From the sound of its voice I thought it to be a man, but what man could make even my father tremble? I wondered, watching him carefully. The armored man took a step forward, resting one of his gloved hands on the hilt of his blade.

My father followed suit, twirling his blade in the air. The rhythmic humming sound of metal slicing through the air filled my ears, calming me. For a moment I felt safe. “Nothing in this place belongs to you.” Father spat, lunging forward.

Before Father could attack the armored man raised his hand. A pulse of red energy shot out, hitting my father directly in the stomach causing him to fly backward against the wall. I let out a small squeal, and ran to him. With a pained groan he started to stand up, but he then fell back to the ground. He looked up at me, his eyes full of pain. The armored man made his way toward us without making a sound. I looked up to see him standing over me.

My father shot up without even trying, though it was obvious how much pain he was in. He stabbed the man through the chest, his blade slicing through what I thought to be armor. I thought it was strange, but I didn't question it. I was too happy, it didn't last long.

When father backed away the man ripped himself free from the blade, cringing only slightly. Without too much effort he lunged back toward my father running him through with his sword. I hadn't even seen him draw it, but I did see how bright the blue glow got before he pulled it out. My father fell to the floor and I ran to him, rolling him over to see if I could help him. It was too late though, he was already gone. I stood up ready to fight, but when I turned to face the armored man he, as well as everything else was gone. I fell to my knees and wept until my mother found me. She knew nothing of what father taught me, and I planned to keep that way.

This is how my secret life began.

____________________________________________________________________________

I'm still working on "Shadows Of Fate" but I wanted to put this up too.