An Allied Ship

Whitley

Bluff pulls me through the streets of town at a run

I'm completely lost, but he pulls me between houses, over fences. Then suddenly we come out into the open and the only thing between us and the dock is the market. One long cobble stone street lined by brick and stone buildings, with shuttered windows. Everything is all closed up now. We're alone, which seems like a good thing but...we're completely in the open. Exposed.

We stop, looking down the dark, open road in front of us, knowing there is nowhere to hide.

Voices nearby make me squeeze Bluff's hand harder. He doesn't move. We wait and listen. Several sets of footsteps sound from the alley one street down. The voice is gravely and jovial, "Would ya look at that!" I turn my head towards the voice only to realize he's inside the closed shop just feet from us.  I take a step back, knowing if there are men here--pirate's I'm guessing, sacking whatever they can while they can-- we can't be seen. But Bluff doesn't move. He stands firm. 

"Shouldn't we hide?" I whisper.

"Not necessarily. Just wait."

A sudden crash makes me jump and a man comes barreling out of a shop, smashing the wooden door to pieces, I leap away from Bluff now, and press my body against the nearest building, heart hammering in my chest. I star at the tattoos that line the pirates arms, as he slams a sledge hammer into more of the wooden door, for good measure, I suppose? 

"Carlos!" Bluff calls. I gasp.

The pirate freezes and looks up, a wary expression covering his previously joyous one.  The light hits the tattooed man making his face shadowed and strange.  A piece of metal sticks out from his eye brow. His dark skin points him out as a foreigner. Not safe. Or at least that's what my father would tell me.

The man squints as he takes a few steps towards us. Then recognition crosses his expression and his eyes lighten. His lips curl into a smile as he says, "Bluff?"

Bluff is smiling now too. "Am I ever glad to see you."

"The 'ell you doing 'ere? Thought you was locked up."

Bluff releases my arm and walks closer to the stranger. "You think that place could hold me?"

Carlos laughs and I shift awkwardly, not willing to move any closer. I still don't know how much I can trust Bluff. Maybe I should take the opportunity and hide somewhere until morning. But the moment the man's eyes shoot to me I realize it's too late for that. 

"Got yourself a trophy?" His eyes travel all the way down my body and I grit my teeth, resisting the urge to cover myself. Anything to get this man's eyes off of me.

Bluff smirks and then stomps over to me, wrapping his arm around my waist and very quickly leans in to whisper in my ear, "go with it."  Then he turns a big smile to Carlos and says, "pretty, ain't she?"

Carlos winks "'Bought time, boy."

Three more pirates appear at the bottom of the market street and even muscle is tensed.

"Looks like she needs loosened up a bit," Carlos says, not at all bothered by the new pirates. I shiver.  At the dock I notice three ships that weren't there yesterday. Ships flying black flags.

Obviously Bluff knows a few of these pirates but how do I know who is "good" and who is bad? And how much will Bluff risk to save me? His life? He barely knows me.

"All in good time." Bluff laughs naturally. So natural, in fact, I wonder if he's serious. If not, he's one damn good liar. I'm not sure which one scares me more.

"Where's Iron?" Bluff asks, keeping his voice calm. But he takes a step back, pulling me back with him as the new pirates approach.

"Ships there, you comin'?" Carlos points out to a far dock.

"Didn't get much here." An old man with a missing arm says. "Not with Simon raidin' all them rich houses."

"Disspointin'. We ain't got a chance to raid a place like this in a 'ell of a while."

"I did alright," Carlos says, holding up a bag that looks awful heavy with sharp lines bulging out. "Lots of rum." He smiles.

The old man slaps him on the back with his only arm. 

The boom of a cannon makes us all jump. Before I even know what's happening the pirates turn and run towards the ship. Bluff and I are left behind, his hand still around my waist. "This is our only chance," he whispers, "but they can not know who you are, understand?"

I nod, and swallow. "Who are they? They're not after my father too?"

Bluff shakes his head. "No. They just came for the easy spoils of an already conquered town. Let Simon do the hard work, since we was so determined and they'll sack whatever is left."

I nod. I suppose that makes sense. 

"This is a crew I know well. I'll be welcomed. But if they know that Simon wants you... well, they certainly won't want to cross him and the price will be well worth it to betray me."

I look into Bluff's blue eyes and know that I shouldn't trust him. He's a pirate. His name basically means "liar!" but if I turn back I'll be faced with a much worse reality. If they're really looking for me and my father, I don't know when or if I'll ever be safe here. My only chance is to get back to New York. To Jeb.

My stomach aches knowing even that isn't what I want. But what choice do I have? I allow Bluff to pull me down the market street towards the dock at a quick pace. The ships are already full of bustle, with men scurrying and shouting things I don't even understand.  

"Who is she?" The voice booms as soon as our feet hit the dock. The man's voice is so low, so quiet but strong, that it sends a shiver down my spine. He looks like a bull, the pirate. He towers over us with his height. Though his muscles aren't as large as most of the pirates I've seen there is still something menacing about him. Maybe it's the loop piercing through the center of his nose.

They stare at one another for what feels like an hour, then a smirk spreads across Bluff's face. Still keeping his eyes focused on the huge bull-like pirate he reaches over and grabs me by the waist, pulling me towards him. "She's with me."

"Well come on, then!" the bull-like captain calls to us. "Can't waste time, not on a night like this."

Another cannon booms as my feet hit the deck of the ship. This time I don't jump.

I have many excuses. But honestly, I wonder if the real reason I board the pirate ship is because this, this is the adventure I always wanted.

** Sorry this one is a little short. I thought about combining it with a bit of the next chapter but it's a new perspective (Bluff's!) and it's one of my favorites so I didn't want it to get lost under this one. Basically, don't miss Tuesday's chapter! We finally get into Bluff's head and he is a really fun character! His mystery gets much deeper coming up here! Plus we meet some new fun characters! Hope to see you back!**