Savior: [Prologue]

<First, to anybody randomly clicking on this, as unlikely as it may be - this is the story that follows Undone that I've written already, which followed this other story called New Days. I do think there's a need to get through them first>

That said, the post-as-you-write option won over the write-it-all-first option, so here you go. And after the encouragement you've given me (for which I sincerely thank you), I decided to go for it. I hope you like it!

Also: Dedicated to the awesome Shmael for making me the cover. Thanks again!

Prologue - Max

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine,” I said again, flopping down onto the sofa behind me with an exaggerated sigh. It was for the effect, really, but I was starting to tire of Mum and Dad both expressing their concern over leaving me alone for the weekend yet again. I’d felt guilty at the thought initially, because all it was was their concern, but now the routine had started to wear down my patience.

Mum was still unconvinced. “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,” she started, “maybe-”

“Maybe nothing,” I interrupted firmly. “It was my idea that Dad go with you for your conference thing and you’re not going to change that plan.”

“I know that, but leaving you all alone like this…”

“Will be a good learning experience for me.” Before she could add anything, because her mouth had opened to protest, I added quickly, “and I will call you if there’s any problem at all.”

Dad smiled. We’d gone over this six times already over the span of the past two days, and even though I could tell that he wasn’t entirely comfortable with leaving me alone, he raised up his hands as if in surrender.

“Thank you,” I told him, “now go on and have a great time, okay? And don’t worry about me all the time.” I directed my gaze towards Mum.

“Alright,” she sighed in defeat, “but if there’s any…”

“Yeah, yeah, problem, I’ll call.”

“And you have Mrs. Morgan’s number.”

“Yup. And Lucy has mine. And even if she forgets it somehow, Jake’s just two houses down from them and he has it,” I stated pointlessly.

“And you’ll call at least twice to check on her.”

“Yes. For this two day span.”

“Alright then.”

“Have fun, okay? And don’t spend every waking minute worrying about me. I’ll be fine.”

I allowed Mum to plant a kiss on my forehead and Dad to ruffle my hair before waving them goodbye. Mum still hadn’t seemed very comfortable, but they needed a break, and there was the fact that I wasn’t a child. Plus with Lucy staying with one of her friends, things were pretty simple for me (for one, I’d eat any food).

All I had to do was survive the weekend on my own.

Piece of cake.

*

Or maybe not. I managed to busy myself in homework and the sort for about two hours after they left, after which I found myself both idle and lonely.

Which would a week ago have been ridiculous, that I was feeling lonely I mean, considering how our relationship had changed over the past year, but after the whole fainting episode, I’d decided it was time to polish up my act. And there’s that a healthy relationship with my parents wasn’t something undesirable, but I’ll be honest, it was more as an attempt to ward off any suspicion that might arise. And this was unnecessary because they didn’t suspect anything, or at least didn’t show that they did, but I…I guess it was both the things after all. I’d missed them, too.