Later [Damage]

"We can talk later."

If Kate had a dollar for every time Mike Flynn had told her that... well, she would have left him and the Navy a long time ago. It was his escape root, his way of dodging commitment. And her.

"We can talk later."

It was always the same. Every time she tried to talk to him, he would use that same damned excuse, and it would work. She couldn't press the issue, because he was her boss and protesting to his decision would lead to a confrontation. And if the crew or NAVCOM ever found out... well, the consequences didn't bear thinking about.

"We can talk later."

But when was later? She needed a precise date, some assurance that he was as committed to making this work as much as she was. But sadly, her need for clarity went unfilled. So she worked on the ship as usual, trying to hide the fact that her heart was breaking with every day that went by.

"We can talk later."

She hated how he could get on with his life as though nothing had happened and yet she was stuck, longing for a sign that he cared about her. But since he had been unable to gather the courage to talk to her, she was now here, standing outside his front door staring at the man she had tried to deny being in love with for so long. And once again, he had fobbed her off with those four words he used so much.

"We can talk later."

Kate took a deep breath, and pushed past him to step inside his house. A look of confusion crossed his face, as he opened his mouth to say something, but she beat him to it.

"No Mike. We can talk now."