The Disadvantages of Living in Virginia

Serenity's POV

~~~

"This is the cafe. There's coffee over there," Jess said as she pointed to a coffee vending machine. "That's the vegetarian buffet..."

"And that's the Rivers' table. No one sits there," Jason interrupted. Jess slapped him on the back of the head. She seemed to do that a lot. "Do not listen to Jason. The only Rivers who's not very friendly is Nick."

I scanned the room and followed Jason and Jess to the lunch line. Jess made her way around the bending and swerving line to where Luna was standing.

"Are we aloud to get in front of all these people?" I asked as I slid between Jason and Luna.

"Yeah, they don't mind. You're new," Luna said, putting her arm around me.

"Plus, you're really hot," Jason said putting his arm around me too. I laughed as Luna slapped him. "Ow!" he said, rubbing his arm before nodding towards the door.  

"Those are the Rivers," Jess said as four students came in. 

"The girl, her name is Stella. She's a senior," Jason said, pushing in front of his sister while pointing at the blonde girl. "The small, blond one with green eyes is Rowan, he's a freshman."

"The other, taller blond one is Sebastian. He's a sophomore," Jess said from behind me.

"And that, is Nick Rivers. You probably noticed him in one of our classes," Luna said pointing to the brown haired one who walked in front. His light brown hair swept across his forehead and was gelled up. He was the boy who had been reading in Mrs. Scott's class. He carried the same stack of books as before but looked extremely bored.

As they walked by, I saw that Nick's eyes were the most interesting shade I had ever seen: milky brown with flecks of gold in them. He stared at me when he passed and I felt like he was looking through me, like I wasn't even there.

The rest of lunch passed in a blur. Luna, Jason, and Jess were all very interested in life outside of Macon.

~~~

"You've never left Virginia?" I asked them. Luna shook her head.

"We have. We've been to D.C. and the Outer Banks in North Carolina," Jess said.

"Oh yeah! We went on a field trip to D.C. in fourth grade. That was so fun!" Luna said. As I continued, she looked at me in awe.

"I lived in New York, not the city though. I've been there but I lived more in the country part of New York. But I've traveled a lot with my dad. He's a writer," I explained.

~~~

"Out of all places in our great nation, why Virginia? I mean, no one ever chooses Virginia. Have you ever read a book or seen a movie that takes place in Virginia or even mentions Virginia? We are the forgotten state," Jess complained.

"Pocahontas took place in Virginia," I said.

"You know, you're right, Jess! And it is kind of ridiculous! People don't give us enough credit. Without Virginia, America wouldn't even exist. We were the first state ever!" Jason said.

"Technically, we're a commonwealth," Luna chimed in.

"Whatever! But I mean Jamestown was the first settlement ever! And Hilton Village is the longest continuous settlement in America. We were the capital of the South in the Civil War!" Jason continued.

"That's not really something to be proud of, Jase," Jess said. But Jason didn't seem dented by the statement.

"Pocahontas probably walked in our backyards! This is where the romance of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas blossomed!" Jason yelled, standing up.