Chapter 5

Edvin, after having breakfast with me, stayed over for an hour and a half, waiting for the fog to clear up so that we could easily tread through the floral path I preferred taking each time I decided to head to the Bolt's inn.

It was the only pub in town and it was located right in the middle of every other place so no matter what time of day it was, there was always much traffic heading towards or about it.

But that particular pathway I preferred was almost always serene and devoid of townsfolk passing by. And the relief of not having to force a smile for a stranger who just happened to hear about you "the new girl in town" was a welcome addition to my tiring routine.

But the only downside to this route was its wilderness. And the wilderness is unexpected not to mention dangerous. Up until yesterday I thought dangerous or not, I could at least manage a ten minute walk without getting tangled up in to something dire. But today, I wasn't so sure. Not after the morning I just spent in a rotting cabin and almost encountering an unknown assailant stalking our grounds.

With such an awful start, I suppose it's safe to say I was a little (maybe A LOT) afraid and the effect it had on me was something even Edvin had noticed. And so here we were, sitting in the warmth of my house in a companionable silence, waiting for the fog to clear up. And it did.

I leaned over the wet window sill and looked out the misty glass pane. "I think we can head out now," I announced.

Edvin, looked up from the magazine I gave him to pass time with, and gave me a tired look. "Well it's about time! I thought my eyes would rot if I looked at another half-naked picture of male models."

The corner of my mouth rose into a smirk and I said, "What? I thought you quite liked that one photo of Chris Hemsworth a few pages back. There was that odd twinkle in your eyes."

"I was merely criticizing his bad taste in attire," he shrugged.

"I thought he wasn't wearing any clothes."

"My point exactly."

*

Both of us got ready to head on out and dressed warmly. Once outside, we admired the view on our way to the inn and I, as antsy as I was after this morning, couldn't help keeping a steady eye around me. I could barely relax and every now and then threw an uneasy glance over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't followed. Nobody was there but my anxiousness remained unhindered. Unluckily, Edvin caught me during one of my endeavors to look over my shoulder and I hastily covered it up with a question I'd been meaning to ask for a while.

"So what exactly are Diana and Dave doing at your place so early in the morning?"

I felt like I saw a slight change in Edvin's demeanor right then but it was so momentary that I began to doubt it ever occured. "Beats me," he shrugged, casually. "They get together like that all the time, for all I know."

"And you never wondered why?" I looked at him, unconvinced.

"Well, I do, but I figured there were more interesting things to indulge myself with other than wondering what my old folks were up to holed up in the basement so early in the morning." he gave me an amused smile. "Why? Do you think they're up to something freaky?"

I could feel a slight rush of blood through my cheeks but quickly suppressed it and walked a little faster to further conceal my embarrassment. I wasn't expecting a straight answer but he could at least humor me a little.

He laughed, "I don't know what's getting your insides in a tangle but you can see for yourself what they are up to once we get there."

I rolled my eyes. He must think I'm odd for wondering what my own Aunt and Uncle were doing. But you can't blame me for being curious. I had not seen them before, not once in my life. In fact, I used to think I never had any relatives to begin with. But then, just this morning I saw a photo of me standing next to both my aunt and mother when I was three years old.