Chapter Three

It took about an hour to explain to Claire and Jett about my new job. I had told them as much as I knew; that it would take longer than usual because I had to find out if he knew anything because his father worked for us and had always been known as the weakling, so much so that we were all shocked he got through training. We were even more surprised when he actually hit the 150 retirement number, which he had documented in a little black book that he handed to Blade. We all had those little black books to keep track of all our jobs. It just made things easier. 

When Claire asked me who had put the hit out, as if she expected me to know, I gave her a pointed look. The one things us assassins aren't told is who put the hit out. We just get assigned to kill, Blade handles the clients, then he assigns them to us, though we never get to meet who we are doing it for. It took me a while to understand why that was as I thought afterwards when the target was dead that we had the chance to meet who put the hit out on them but we never did. Blade says that it is because they want to remain anonymous and that I shouldn't worry that anyone wants someone dead for childish, petty reasons because he only accepts people who have a valid reason. Though, they thought that they were talking to a law firm and were going to get that person put through court, they didn't actually expect the person to end up dead. That was what had put us on the police's radar but a lot of people actually did specifically come to Blade Agency to get a person sorted out, whether it be an 'accident' they would recover from or being killed. There were a lot of people who knew who we were and what we really did but they were all Blade's trusted friends, therefore they would never betray him, in face, they often sent business our way.

After explaining everything to Claire and Jett, I thought about who could have possibly put the hit out. Was it someone with a jealousy issue that lied to Blade? He only accepts the clients that deserve to be gone from the world, people like rapists and child molesters, prostitution traffickers, people like that. People who are kidnapping young girls and forcing them into being a sex slave. Disgusting people who deserve death. It didn't stop me wondering though.

"So you're telling me that Andrew could have told Luke everything?" Claire asked, a look of disbelief on her face as we finished our breakfast.

Pushing the plate out of my way, I put my elbows on the table, "Basically. If he knows nothing then I don't have to kill him."

"Do you honestly believe Andrew is that stupid?" She asked, "I mean, everybody here knows he hated taking lives but is he really that stupid?"

"No." I shook my head. "I don't know what to think. Andrew always struck me as a father that would do anything to look after his kids, so I find it hard to believe he would tell his youngest anything about this life."

"So what are you going to do? How are you going to find out if he does know something?" Jett asked me. "Blade is smart. He wouldn't have accepted this if he thought there was an ulterior motive in killed Luke."

"And how are you going to figure out if he knows something? He could easily lie." Claire pointed out.

"Guys, I have this all planned. I know when people are lying - I always have. You don't have to worry about how I am going to do this, I just will. Now can we please stop talking about it?" I sighed, wanting to change the topic because the truth was, I had no idea how this would plan out. I knew very well that if Luke knew anything at all then he wouldn't tell simply because he would get his father in trouble and we'd have to kill his family. If he knew nothing, then he could be lying so I would most likely have to kill him just as a precaution or I simply disappear from his life. I'd have to use a disguise which was obvious as that was something we always had to do to stop the police finding out who killed all the wanted men and woman but either way, I knew this mission wasn't going to be easy.