“So um Rue… You know how that school dance is next week?”

With a hesitation, I said, “Yeah, why?”

“I was wondering if you know, you were going already with someone…”

“Well,” think Rue think, “I’m going with some friends then I’m staying the night at Kelsey’s house. I held my breath as I waited for his response.

“Oh, so will I see you there?”

“Um, yeah… I guess you will.”

“Save me a dance, promise?” Then I heard him mumble something like “maybe a slow one…”

“Haha nice try!” I say as I roll my eyes, trying to make him relax so I wouldn’t actually have to answer. I could see the vain in his neck stick out for just a moment, and then he relaxed.

“Haha yeah, can’t blame me?”

As soon as he finished his sentence, Kyle came on the bus and gave the kid in the seat in front me a look saying move, now. The kid obviously very young quickly gathered his stuff and left the seat. Kyle threw his bag down and did his and James’s “secret” handshake, only it isn’t a secret, I could do it with my eyes closed.

“How you doin’ Rue?” Kyle said, quoting Friends, “Got any dates for the dance?”

“I’m good, and I’m going to the dance with some friends!”

“Yeah, sure you are. You just said that to James. You do want to go with me but you can’t say you do, because you just lied to James about going with friends.” He smirked as he said the last part. James’s hand clenched into a fist, and then he glanced at me quickly to see if it was true, but I kept my face calm and laughed, while I smacked Kyle across the head with a playful slap. I peeked a look at James when I did and saw the fist return to a normal hand.

For some reason, that I can’t explain, Kyle doesn’t try not to make James angry. If anything, he almost provokes James. As those thoughts cross my mind, Kyle leans way over his seat towards me and tries to kiss me! It was happening so fast that I didn’t have time to react and as he was just about to kiss my lips, the bus slammed on the brakes and he went flying backwards into his seat! I just sat there in my seat dumbstruck. I know I should have wanted Kyle but for some reason I didn’t. Any girl in my place would have leaned in for the kiss, but I have a feeling inside that I already belong to someone, like there is someone waiting for me.

“What the? Kyle if your okay, I’m gunna kick, you know what even if you aren’t okay, I’m still kicking your ass!” yelled James before I could finish my thoughts.

I looked over the seat and saw Kyle sprawled across his seat in an unnatural way. James hopped seats to the one next to Kyle and at that time, the bus had started up again and everyone went back to their conversations. I moved into Kyle’s seat leaned down to see if he had hurt himself, as I did his eyes popped open and he tried to force a kiss on me I squealed and moved backwards. Falling out of the seat, about to hit the ground, but James caught me. I felt his arms tense. James asked if I was okay, and I told him I was fine. His arms stayed clenched around my hips. I struggled against him, trying to break free.

I looked over at Kyle to see him grinning. He started to chuckle. His laugh made me grin and I laughed too! I was laughing hysterically. Tears started forming in my eyes, because I was laughing so hard.

Looking back at James I saw he was still very, very angry. I froze because I understood that he thought we were laughing at him, but we weren’t. “James,” I said, “James we aren’t laughing at you. We were laughing at us. James calm down, it’s alright, calm down.” My eyes darted from his face, to his fist. “James don’t do it. James you need to understand what was really happening.”

“I know what was happening he was trying to make a fool of me and now you and him are laughing about it. Well I don’t think he is going to get off that easily.” I started to say no, but before I could finish, James pushed me out of the seat and his fist went up, aimed for Kyle’s face. At the very last second, Kyle ducted and James’s fist went through the window.

I sat there in awe. The glass had shattered and cut James all up and down his arms and hands. Kyle on the other hand was just fine, except for a few small cuts.

“That was a close one” said Kyle who was grinning again. I gave him a look saying stop it! He saw it and put James in a headlock. He tried to get out from underneath Kyle’s grip. That seemed to only make Kyle’s grip stronger.

“You done yet?” asked Kyle with an annoyed look on his face, like he was annoyed that he had to hold James in a headlock.

James squirmed a little more under his grip, and then said, “Yes” as reluctantly as possible.

John

I couldn’t let him kiss her. I tried to look away, but that made me even angrier, so I stopped the bus. I changed the events that were going to happen to the stop light changing immediately to a red light. I made sure no one would get hurt if I stopped the bus… But still, I know Father will not be proud.

I tried to make that James guy calm down, but he was too strong. I don’t know what it was, but I could sense something off about him, that’s why I couldn’t help him.

Looking over to Rue, I could see she was scared.

James

I couldn’t control myself. What is happening to me? I used to be able to keep myself at bay, but now? I just can’t… My parents have even taken me to therapy for anger management. The thing is though; I don’t think I have anger control… It sometimes feels like I can’t control myself, like I’m someone else’s puppet.

I punched through the window. I punched through the window. I had wanted to punch Kyle; I had wanted to hurt him so badly. After I ran out of anger, I was just left with sorrow and regret. Even worse, Rue now even more afraid of me. She is the only girl I’ve ever felt anything for and she can barely stand to look at me.

This uncontrollable thing inside me is growing and getting worse. I don’t know what it is… But I do know I want it gone.

“You stupid kids!” the bus driver came screaming down the aisle, all hot and heavy. His bald little head covered in wrinkles and sweat. “You’re going to pay for this! And you’re unwelcome on this bus anymore! GET OFF! I’ll mail your parents the bills!”

I sighed, looked up at Rue, almost begging her to look at me, but her eyes stayed at her feet. I got up and off, hearing the snickers from Kyle.

He’s going to pay for this.