Part 39

"How do you like it?"

JoLynn took in the modern elegance of the office—her office. A mahogany desk served as the room's focal point, and the stunning Tiffany style lamp gracing its surface drew a soft gasp from her. But the supple, crimson leather chairs demanded almost as much attention. Bookshelves lined the walls, fully stocked with company binders, books and even a few knick-knacks. Two windows stood tall, adorned with extravagant drapes. She glanced at her father, who stood, clearly anticipating her reaction.

"It's beautiful, Daddy."

He switched on the desk lamp. "Trudy did it."

Trudy, his executive assistant, had been a fixture in this office since before JoLynn was even born.

"It's perfect. She did a beautiful job." JoLynn stepped behind her desk and ran a hand along the back of the chair. The leather was cool and soft, and she kneaded it with her fingertips as tendrils of apprehension wound their way around her heart.

"What is it, baby?" Her father came to stand beside her, wrapping one arm around her shoulders. "What's been bothering you these past few days?"

She glanced up at him knowing better than to say it was nothing. He would see right through that answer.

"Are you still sad about the show ending? Or might this gloom of yours have something to do with Shane Quinlan? I'd hate to think it's because you're not happy to be home."

She leaned into her father and sighed. "I just don't know what I'm supposed to do now."

"You're supposed to do this." He gestured expansively with one arm.

"But what is this? I don't have the first idea what you do, or how this business works. Or any business, for that matter. And here I am on my first day with no clue, and this office..." Her dad's gentle laughter brought a reluctant smile out of her. "I'm serious."

"Oh, you're serious, are you?"

"Yes. I'm seriously worried that I'll bankrupt you." She poked him in the ribs.

"Don't worry. I won't let that happen."

"But don't you think maybe I should start a little further down the corporate ladder? Like the mail room? That way I can learn how every department of this place works, and how they all work together."

    He laughed in earnest. "JoLynn, no one will ever appreciate your eagerness to learn this business like I will. But, darlin', you don't need to know how the mailroom works. You just need to trust that it does. Besides, I'm not handing the reins over today."

"I know." JoLynn stepped to the window and looked out onto the street below. "I just feel a little lost." Lost and alone. Separated from the one person she wanted to be with most—the one person whose encouragement might give her the confidence boost she needed to throw her heart and soul into this new season of life with the same enthusiasm of the last.

Her dad's hands came to rest, warm and sturdy, reassuring on her shoulders.

"Do you know what I studied at Rice?" he asked.

"Business?"

A low chuckle emanated from deep within him. "You'd think so, wouldn't you?"

She turned and looked at him.

"History."

"History?" She wrinkled her nose. "How in the world did that prepare you for this?"

"It didn't."

He pulled the chair from under the desk and motioned for her to sit. JoLynn sank into the leather and nearly sighed aloud. This was quite a chair. The desk's surface felt smooth and cool beneath her palm as she ran a hand across it.