Chapter Six

Chapter Six
•Sang•

It's here, the first day of school has finally come around after a week of doing nothing all that interesting. I barely left the house and when I did leave it was to go and take some photos to add to my collections.

Another reason I've barely left the house is because I've found myself sitting on my bed with legs crossed staring at the hard black case that contains my violin. Before I had left his office on registration, Mr Blackbourne had asked if I had a violin. I gave a simple nod of my head. He then asked me to bring it with me on the first day.

So I dug it out two days later and I've lost count how many times I've gone to open it but couldn't bring myself to do so. Really, I needed to. Mr Blackbourne will ask questions I'm not sure I'm ready to answer if I can't bring myself to open it.

Now here I am, the first day of school and I'm pacing my room, my eyes locking onto the case for several seconds before I look away and continue pacing.

I'm dressed and ready for the day early; my nerves and the excitement of doing something new yet familiar has kept me up at night. I've also found myself staring at a certain folder of pictures I have on my laptop; that I may have printed out and used to start a whole new scrapbook focused solely on them.

It hasn't gone past me that I've seen them at the house across the street, or making their way to a house a few doors down from mine on the same side of the street to me. I also didn't sneakily follow two of the boys down the street where they stopped at the church and waited for the rest of their friends that are in the group.

What surprised me was Dr Green and Mr Blackbourne showing up. When I had first seen Dr Green I knew he couldn't have been much older then me, and I thought the same thing when I had met Mr Blackbourne a few minutes later. Even though he's so formal and serious, it doesn't hide the fact that he is still young.

I had been standing at my bedroom window when I saw the boys walking by; one was wearing a black vest with a red Nike swish on it and the other had been wearing a light green polo top. Before I had even realized what I was doing I was grabbing my camera and flying out the door and on their heels.

And like the stalker I felt I was when it came to the them, I stayed hidden and snapped many photos as Boy One and Boy Two talked while the others listened. Together as a group they had captured my attention and when I went through the photos I had snapped of them from registration and that day, I knew they had captured my attention individually.

My palms were sweaty and my heart was pounding as I flicked through each photo; three earrings in the same ear with the same colored studs, copper hair, black framed glasses framing brilliant green eyes, a Japanese medallion and fire eyes; the first time I ever understood the term of 'fire in the eyes'.

I don't know how long I had sat at my desk and just looked at those pictures along with the ones I got at registration.

I stop pacing and ran my fingers through my hair, pushing it out of my face. I need to forget my fascination with those boys, including Dr Green and Mr Blackbourne. Instead I need to concentrate on that damn violin case.

Maybe I'm making a mistake by doing this class. Maybe I could go and see Mr Blackbourne later and try to explain why I can't do it, that it hurts to much, that I haven't played on it since Mom took her last breath.

A knock at my bedroom door startles me and I whirl around just as it opens and Dad steps into my room. He came back a day earlier then what he said in his text and has hidden himself in his room since, leaving only for a few hours to go to the office before returning. Yesterday evening he had even cooked tea, something he hasn't done in years.