five - mood

I was in a very bad mood.

It started as I woke up, late. I slept through three alarms and I only had fifteen minutes to get ready. Tardiness was not something I tolerated from my employees, and I was not going to set a bad example.

I didn't have time to make my bed, and almost broke my neck by slipping on the bathroom floor. I scrubbed my teeth with an aggressiveness that I couldn't explain. The water on my back felt too hot. 

I tried on about three different outfits before settling on a dress shirt with mom jeans and medium sized red velvet pumps. Sighing under my breath, I left my hair down, and hurriedly concealed the dark circles under my eyes.

I stopped for a breakfast burger and two coffees later, I was finally awake.

Storming into my office, I startled my employees, despite still being angry for no reason.

I called Teresa's office phone three times and every time, it disconnected.

It was then that I remembered that she couldn't come to work for another two months and grumbled obscenities under my breath, thoroughly annoyed.

It baffled me as to how I had let that happen. I had told Lucca about my disorder, and I wasn't feeling good about it. I hated appearing as weak to other people, and this was something that he could potentially use against me. Perhaps my bad mood emanated from this too, the fact that I was still processing this whole thing.

I was getting married, and had to pretend that I didn't feel dirty about it. Agreeing to what my father and godfather had decided was one of the hardest decisions that I had to make. My father had blackmailed me into something I could never have imagined. I was angry because it wasn't fair and that I shouldn't be having to do this. I worked hard every day to make sure everything was up and running, my employees hated me and I had to deal with countless of issues throughout my day.

And I was getting blackmailed into a position.

A knock on my door startled me out of my angry daydream.

"Come in," I loudly said, standing straighter in my chair. A woman entered, surprising her with how wide she smiled. She was tall, with a tousled icy blonde bob cut. Her jeans were skinny and blue and her dark coat swirled behind her as she walked confidently. Her features were delicate and cute, yet a mature aura surrounded her.

"Hi, Ms. Greyson, I'm Edith Leonhardt."

When I squinted my eyes at her, confused, she added, "I'm your three o'clock interview, Ma'am. Teresa should have notified you, I'm a... friend of hers."

I didn't miss the hesitation in the sentence but decided to ignore it.

"Lovely to meet you, Ms. Leonhardt. Let's get started, shall we? Have a seat."

I looked over at the file that came with Teresa's very tardive email, and skimmed through it.

"You exceed the qualifications, Ms. Leonhardt," I told her honestly. She seemed like a brilliant mind.

"You should be running a research lab, or something. I find it hard to see what you have to gain from this job, really," I added carefully.

There was a reason Edith had applied for this job. She wasn't a novice, or anything of that kind, and was only a year younger than me. I was just making sure that she knew what she signed up for.

"I really want to learn from this job, Ms. Greyson," Edith grinned mindlessly.

"I find it incredible how this company is growing and I'd really like to be part of that. Plus, I really need a job. I have just graduated and I think it would be wonderful to start working in a place like this."